Pennsylvania (Finally) Online For Hunters

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Corey Graff

Postby Corey Graff » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:48 am

After nearly two years of false starts and computer-related glitches, beginning this week hunters and furtakers in Pennsylvania can finally purchase licenses and tags on the state Game Commission's Internet site.

The state with the most hunters in the country may be the last to finally give its sportsmen the option of purchasing licenses online.

In April, the Pennsylvania Game Commission announced it was still not prepared to issue hunting licenses through an electronic license sale system and planned to continue to sell paper licenses for the 2008-09 seasons.

At that time, Pennsylvania Game Commission Executive Director Carl G. Roe explained that Automated Licensing Systems (ALS), the company hired to produce the new license sale system, missed two additional deadlines to deliver a fully operational and fully tested point-of-sale system for the
2008-09 license year.

Then, last week, without elaborating on the details, the commission announced that beginning at 10 a.m. on Monday, June 23, Pennsylvania resident and non-resident hunting and furtaker licenses for the 2008-09 seasons will go on sale through "The Outdoor Shop" on the Game Commission Web site.

The licenses will continue to be available from the nearly 850 issuing agents in The Keystone State.

Highlander Archery

RE: Pennsylvania (Finally) Online For Hunters

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:27 am

Its about time, got mine online last year though.

frdrck13

Postby frdrck13 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:06 pm

It is about time for this year!

But I have purchase my PA license on-line the last three years.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:00 am

We already have call in checking here in IL. for a few years, and I wish it would go back to the check stations. I see alot of hunters breaking laws with this under supervised method. How can we expect to implement sound management when so many hunters are checking in small bucks as doe's. That is if they even check them in at all. I've even seen hunters not call in thier deer, but re-use the tags many times. Maybe the state figures most hunters are honest, but personaly when they don't add on more c/o's, to counter act the poaching, it makes me wonder if they even care what happens to the herd here.  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Return to Breaking News