One Beautiful Farm

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Bob Olsen

RE: One Beautiful Farm

Postby Bob Olsen » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:37 pm

Well after much frustration and a whole lot of help I finally get to show off what Don Higgins has done for me. Needless to say, I'm one happy hunter. A very special thanks to Dave Meckley for being so patient with me. Everything in the W.H.I.P. is being done for free. A very special thanks goes out to Don Higgins. don@higginsoutdoors.com

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:31 am

Nice Bob...Wondering ...How do you maintain all that native grass area...reason I ask is ...I've read that in order to maintain it there needs to be the occasional controlled burn.....Burning where we are is illegal...the fire Dept won't even do one as a training exercise

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:00 am

Yes, it does need to be burned every two or three years. As you can see, between my two fields I have about 25 acres or so. My acreage is enrolled in C.R.P. I can have the D.N.R. come out and do it it,if I give them a one year notice, they have to draw up a plan, or I can do it myself, which I usually do. My advice would be to contact your D.N.R. or the Natural Resources Consevation Service in your area. My best advice as usual is to get in touch with don@higginsoutdoors.com I hope this helps, as I can not say enough good thing about the Native Grasses. I had two Bucks fighting about 50 yards away from my trailer a few years ago at 9:00p.m. and it was something to hear. Sounded like baseball bats hitting together, and I could hear the Doe just walking around

Previous

Return to Breaking News