What Can We Do?

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Bob Olsen

What Can We Do?

Postby Bob Olsen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:37 pm

After reading so many stories about poaching, I'm convinced that we need to help the Conservation Police Officer's in our home states. I have no idea how to do this other than ask people to donate directly to the C.P.Os., if this is even possible. I know that in Pike County, Illinois and probably Buffalo County, Wisconsin the C.P.Os., need help. Maybe the Outfitter's could donate a little to their respective County. I wouldn't mind donatlng something every year just to help stop poaching and preserve the future for our kid's. I personally think we need stiffer penalties, like taking a poachers' vehicle every time they are found guilty (you too Ted) and then sell it and give the money to the C.P.Os. The D.E.A. gets their spoils, so why not, even if the vehicle belongs to the parent's. Any Idea's ???

bow_junky

RE: What Can We Do?

Postby bow_junky » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:05 am

I agree!  If people can get phone calls asking to donate money to Highway Patrol and get a little sticker for their windshield why cant the CPO's.  And I think the penalties should be stiffer.  I like the newer law allowing fines to be adjusted according to the size of the animal.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:17 am

Well one thing that CPO's can do...here in Illinois at least....is to stop treating EVERY hunter they encounter in the field as "violator they haven't caught yet". They may find that the average hunter will start becoming more helpful.

I used to go out of my way to be of assistance to CPO's whenever I could, but in the last 15 years or so most of my encounters with them have been insulting and downright harassment. I mean, there's doing your job...which I have no problem with whatsoever...and being an arrogant A-hole with a badge....which I do have a problem with. When someone treats me like that, I return the favor.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Bob Olsen

Postby Bob Olsen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:48 pm

In life, 99% of the time, the problem is a disconnect with communications. Whether it's lack thereof, miscommunication, someone getting defensive, or offensive. WW, I enjoy reading your posts', but I'm curious what the situations were where you had to deal with the C.P.O. And I do agree they can be real "Knotheads", just like everyone else at times. Maybe it's a more stressful job than we realize. Try to establish a repoire with the "Man" and maybe he'll realize your are an ethical hunter. Do you think Ted Nugent is going to get a "Free Ride" if a game warden knows he's in town?

atlashbs

Postby atlashbs » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:07 pm

I disagree with your basic idea, the game wardens do NOT need our help.
1.  They don't ask for money and don't have to satisfy customer needs, they TAX what they want, for whatever they want.
2.  Everything they do is an infringement on your rights.  Sometimes you agree with their infringement but it is still taking away at your freedoms.  That is the nature of all government regulation.  We have enough laws on the books, these guys should just STOP messing with things.
3.  Poaching is not immoral or unethical.  Just because a practice has been outlawed doesn't make it wrong.  Hunting over cornfields is not wrong, nor is hunting over clover.  If they change the petty rules and make it illegal the problem is with the LAW not with the hunter.
4.  We need to spend our energy ORGANIZING AGAINST the game wardens and regulations.  THAT is where our volunteer dollars should go, not to the regulators.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:06 pm

Wait...what??
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:14 pm

Just because a practice has been outlawed doesn't make it wrong.

!!!!??????

Like rape, pedophilia, armed robbery, kidnapping, and murder?

You just may want to check your moral compass. It might be broken!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

pickleguy

Postby pickleguy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:18 am

atlashbs I would like to say welcome to the forum but with these views I would be lying. We are all entitled to our own opinion but with your thought process we are in for a world of hurt. IMO you should back up & read what you posted & get real!
�If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.It is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved

PastorZig

Postby PastorZig » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Woods Walker did hit on something when he mentioned Conservation Officers being arrogant and..... I would have to agree with him on that except for my encounter this past December on public land when a CO checked up on me in Orange County, IN. He was a gentleman officer! But, I have had numerous encounters where there were arrogant and I was guilty and needed to be proven innocent. The very first time that I had a bad encounter and had to prove my innocence, I thanked the officer for doing his job as he walked back to his truck....when I did that, his whole demeanor changed and I never had a problem again with that officer. I have tried to do that with every one and it always seems to catch them off guard and they became friendly.

But then I read Atlashbs' post and got lost in his diatribe! If his comments are for real....? Well, Woods Walker answered him correctly!! A moral compass definitely needs calibration.

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:33 pm

ORIGINAL: atlashbs

I disagree with your basic idea, the game wardens do NOT need our help.
1.  They don't ask for money and don't have to satisfy customer needs, they TAX what they want, for whatever they want.
2.  Everything they do is an infringement on your rights.  Sometimes you agree with their infringement but it is still taking away at your freedoms.  That is the nature of all government regulation.  We have enough laws on the books, these guys should just STOP messing with things.
3.  Poaching is not immoral or unethical.  Just because a practice has been outlawed doesn't make it wrong.  Hunting over cornfields is not wrong, nor is hunting over clover.  If they change the petty rules and make it illegal the problem is with the LAW not with the hunter.
4.  We need to spend our energy ORGANIZING AGAINST the game wardens and regulations.  THAT is where our volunteer dollars should go, not to the regulators.

Welcome to the forum Ted! Thanks for sharing your opinion.

As for the original question about helping your local law enforcement official, the easiest way to do so is to say no to apathy. Obey the rules, report violations and render assistance when you can.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Next

Return to Breaking News