Chronic wasting disease seen in SE Minn. deer

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
Dan Salmon

RE: Chronic wasting disease seen in SE Minn. deer

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:58 pm

If CWD doesn't naturally occur, where did the mutated prions come from?  

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:08 pm

vstv,

Would the suggestion that I put forward earlier make sense then?  If the cattle that are farmed on the land that was the old deer farm were monitored and over a number of years proven that the prions do not transmit to domesticated cattle, would this not be a good indicator that CWD is not the problem that all of these State Agencies are making it out to be? 

My take on this is this is that CWD is kind of like the flu in humans.  Every year there is some new strain of the flu that ends up killing people all over the world, despite our trying to prevent it by vaccination.  Doctors and Chemists guess every year what the worst of these strains are and try to make a vaccine that will prevent it's wide spread destruction of man.  They are not vaccinating every human and couldn't possibly do it even if they wanted, so they are figuring to have some collateral loss due to the virus.  Is this not what happens, in essence, with CWD in the deer herd?

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:54 am

Dr. S, are you working with the MN DNR? I'm interested to know who they have consulted on the topic. I certainly hope cooler heads prevail and they take the proper time to think about this before they slaughter the deer herd in S. Minnesota. If deer aren't dropping over due to this, then I'm not too concerned!

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:05 pm

I wonder if this will effect the new APRs?

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:34 am

I don't think it will. If anything, i would expect a more liberal season on antlerless deer. If you read the recent DNR press releases about the CWD, they are saying that thinning out the does is what they want to do. I just hope that they are sure this will have the desired effect. I'm afraid it will do nothing to stem the CWD outbreak ,but only suppress the deer numbers for years to come.

ccoutdoors

Postby ccoutdoors » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:58 am

ORIGINAL: Dan Salmon

If CWD doesn't naturally occur, where did the mutated prions come from?  

Colorado Research center in the 1960's.  If you feed an animal (not all) its own kind (Protein Deer feed)

.(Fact) when a deer dies from CWD in the wild you have less then 48 hours to collect it.

This is another wrong fact.  The damage or infection the deer spread was done also when it was living and not just where it died.

http://serconline.org/CWD/fact.html

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:39 am

ORIGINAL: mnmaverick

I'm afraid it will do nothing to stem the CWD outbreak ,but only suppress the deer numbers for years to come.

As has happened in Southern WI where I hunt...the only thing it has done is tick hunters off to no end.
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

vstv

Postby vstv » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:01 pm

In order to get the best results,lymph nodes and brain stem must be collected within 48 hours,if not,your chances of a false postive rises highly.CWD is not a highly contagious disease,like blue tounge.Like I stated above you could test 1000 deer and only have 1 test positive.The protein theory:why will deer eat certain kinds of corn and not others,same as for alfa and also soybeans(All have different % of Protein) All crops are not the same.One theory is the level of chemicals sprayed and engineered seed farmers use today.CWD has a similiar T7 code like alzheimers and Creutzfeldt-jakob disease in humans.There isnt a silver bullet to prevent these diseases.However the DNR should not use this excuse to justify mercy killing and fill there pockets with Fed. dollars.The Mn DNR blames livestock producers for this problem and also the Bluffland club.The Bluffland members account for 1% of hunters in Mn. I understand the DNR isnt perfect,but there needs to be a change in how it budgets.The enforcement division needs to be removed.If half of there budget was given to local sheriff departments many more arrests would happen!!! Dan if you choose to believe the Protein Theory or SERC then you need to blame crop farmers for their engineered seed to produce ethanol.Todays crops I agree isnt the same crop like it was 20 years ago.Kind of makes you wonder where MS and the different kinds of cancer and disease are stemming from.The point I am trying to make is by going out and mercy killing isnt going to help anything.I do believe todays crop farming practices is hurting our Natural Resource and human life alot more than you think.I call as I see it! based on research !!some of those facts from the SERC are not accurate and have been proven wrong, there are some good points stated but there is not a silver bullet.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Nope, I agree with you 100%.  Humans in their infinate wisdom are killing themselves with all the genetic engineering, hormones and preservatives we are putting into our own food.  It would make sense that genetically engineered corn for the ethanol market would also screw things up, there is only one goal there and the by-products are pushed aside for monetary gain.  Also like the drug producers for human health care. 

vstv

Postby vstv » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:09 pm

If I had to choose the main reason for health concerns and CWD,my first suspect would be crop farmers due to the engineered seed and chemicals they all use.This stuff has more chemicals in it than agent orange.These chemicals react different to temp and soil samples across the midwest.Its in the air and in our water.I started a dirt sample on fire in the lab 72 hours after the field was sprayed.Go figure.TIME WILL TELL (but at what price?????)

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News