Pop-Up Blinds???

whubbard

RE: Pop-Up Blinds???

Postby whubbard » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:37 pm

Of course ground blinds aren't for everyone.  I bought a ameristep 360 degree shoot through type two years ago.  Have hunted two falls out of it, and loved it.  I love being in a tree as well.  To me, it gave me an opportunity to be at ground level with the deer at less than 20 yards w/o them knowing I was there.  Awesome experience imo.  I have used it to kill management deer of my property very successfully.  Haven't killed a big buck out of it, but have seen lots of deer.  Had my daughter (8 yrs. old) with me this year and took a doe with my bow sitting right next to me.  She was jacked up.  One of the greatest moments of my life.  So as I said, they aren't for everyone, but I have put mine to good use, and have some wonderful memories b/c of it.  Actually plan to harvest my first turkey w/ a bow using the same blind.  Happy hunting.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:39 pm

I've used pop up blinds for the last 4 years and have taken 2 deer with bow using that method.

I really like them since you can move around a lot more, take your kids with you, etc.  If at all possible, I like to put them up a few weeks before using them.  My area is very flat and does not have very many trees, so ground blinds work well.

I'm still not comfortable using the shoot throug mesh. 

I'm planning to get one or two more hub style blinds before next season.  I think they will hold up a little better against the wind.  I've had my others blow away on me at times.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:02 pm

I don't own one but hope to before next year. To me it's another great tool in the arsenal to use when necessary and will work great for bringing my wife along or children.
I'll be looking at the hub style, not sure which one yet.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Blake Dandurand

Postby Blake Dandurand » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Actually i love the shoot through screens. They don't affect your arrow hardly at all. you dont lose any accuracy or speed, so it is virtually unnoticable. Although I too take them out when gun hunting for goblers, and they work awesome for dove if you have zip open tops,  but i like the nets for better concealment too, they do help a lot for "blacking it out" inside the blind.
"Look what venison does to a goofy guitar player from Detroit? I'm going to be 54 this year and if I had any more energy I'd scare you."
- Ted Nugent

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:04 pm

If your in a warm climate area I would suggest using one of the Blinds that have the See-through meshing all the way around it and the fabric camo leaves on the outside for concealment.I can't remember what brand it was but it would be a great blind to have...it could have been an Ameristep Blind?When your inside it you can see all around you but it was near impossible to look into from the view outside.Since we usually have cold weather in the Spring and Fall I declined on getting it....but looking back I could have just worn warmer clothing when hunting from it.

When I'm hunting from my Hunters Den Blind I stake down the sides with the small metal stakes and the straps provided in the center of each side of the blind,some small animals may get inside since it doesn't have a floor in the blind....I'm not sure if any of them have a fabric floor in them or not?Last year I thought my Hunting Buddies filled my camo chair that was equipped with a storage pouch underneath it with hickory nuts as a joke....but in the end I think a chipmunk had got in there instead! [8|] [:D] 

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Wed May 27, 2009 6:41 am

I've used the Ameristep (I think it's called the Outhouse or Doghouse. Small, very inexpensive and lightweight. Have used it for about 4 years and love it. Although not exceptionally roomy, when it is raining or snowing, it does serve well in keeping most of the wet stuff from falling directly on me. Also, it seems to conceal me very well. I've had deer, turkey, foxes and ever raccoons walk right past it and never seem to notice me. Have taken a good number of deer from within my little pop-up. However, the thing I really appreciate most about it, is that when the weather is really cold, I take my tiny little portable propane heater inside my pop-up, along with my 'boot blankets' and generally stay fairly comfortable throughout the entire day.
The one thing that I don't care for is that when I have finished for the day (sometimes I will leave it up overnight, if intending to hunt the same spot the next day or so), when attempting to collapse it and get it back into its cover bag, if the wind is blowing, you sometimes feel like you are wrestling with it. In the end, I always win that struggle but hope to heaven that there was nobody around watching me.
I don't use it for every hunt, but I view it as another useful tool in my deer-hunting tool box.

whubbard

Postby whubbard » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:36 pm

I bought an Ameristep three years ago.  It is the hub style (I've had to replace a few of the poles).  It also has the shoot through netting.  I've killed four does out of it with my bow.  I absolutely love it.  I'm what you would call a bit skiddish when 20 feet in a tree.  Love the concealment as well.  I take a book with me and sometimes read when it's slow. 
Hunting, fishing, drawing, and music occupied my every moment. Cares I knew not, and cared naught about them. --John James Audubon

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:16 pm

I like the predator den from primos/double bull.....just like their vision but different windows...cheaper too.....Tons of room to strech out stand up or hunt with 2-3 folks---I'm 6'3 and all legs and arms so strching out is important 2 me.....
leave em'out?...some i leave out all year and some i don't--- no particular reason why or which except laziness. 
Yes i seem to be migrating to them and ladder stands vs lock on and tower blinds. 
Last but not least...I had an armadillo get in there with me and a buddy once.... we gave the annoying thing the blind for tha afternoon...he wanted it worse than we did.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 am

Great information here guys! I think a couple blinds would be a great edition to our hunting camp. In the early season scouting we could place them out in areas we find new activity each year. Sometimes those areas just don't have good trees for a climbing stand, I think these blinds could be the solution from what I've read here. Passin Through thanks for the tip on a blind for tall guys, I'm 6'4" so I really appreciate all the room I can get! I think blinds will also make hunting with my impatient 11 year old a little better too! Again great information guys!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:52 am

I have an ameristep doghouse blind, I don't use it to much but it works great when taking the youngins. The only complaint I have so far is that mice got in it last year when I left it out for a few weeks on the edge of a CREP field and chewed a hole right in the middle. So when I went to it for shelter during a rainy afternoon hunt, I had a steady stream of water running in the entire time.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

PreviousNext

Return to Treestands