Help - I'm in the market for a climbing tree stand

Jslotter

RE: Help - I'm in the market for a climbing tree stand

Postby Jslotter » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:10 am

I know this is an old thread and you probably have already purchased a nice climber Patriot. But for anyone else who is looking for the same advice I would advise getting a climber that is lite to carry and is easy to pack and set up. I have an old Ameristep climber. I love it because when you are up in the tree it is very comfortable and it doesn't have a million straps and buckles to deal with. But, it weighs alot. I live in ridge country in western Wisconsin and after getting up one hill with that sucker on my back, I have to take a ten minute break and catch my breath. the straps aren't the best either. A friend of mine owns a Lone Wolf Climber and it is super lite. I wish I had one but I just can't get myself to spend the money for one. So, that is something to think about...
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Michigander

Postby Michigander » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:23 pm

I've used lone wolf climbers. They are great and very light. But you're right Jslotter, terrible expensive. I guess if it's the only stand you're going to use it may be worth the extra. If money isn't an object, I'd certainly look at the lone wolf stand.

CGI Hunter

Postby CGI Hunter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:52 am

Don't rule out the Equalizer, I own the 24" model and I'm very happy with it. It can be a little noisey setting up the first couple times but then when you know what to look out for it ain't bad. I use it for late morning set ups and stay in all day. very comfortable, seat moves easily to three positions. I have the bow holder and the foot pad installed. you really need to be level for the bow holder to work properly,and the the foot pad makes it easier on the shins. For early morning hunts I suggest affixing to tree day before to make for a quiter climb.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:09 am

Hello all,
I figured I'd give an update.  I ended up getting the Summit Viper SS for $270 from Gander Mountain (used some gift cards).

I plan to use it hunting for the first time this weekend.  Might take me an hour to climb the tree, but gotta start somewhere.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeerAddict

Postby DeerAddict » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:31 am

Hey Patriot..I also just purchased the Summit Viper SS- about a month ago. It was also my first ever climber stand. I thought it would take me forever to figure out, but surprisingly it was farely easy. I've already hunted from it a few times this year.

To me it seems like a great climber, but it's my first one so I don't have anything to compare it to.

X3_Shooter

Postby X3_Shooter » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:47 pm

I picked up a River's Edge climber on Craig's List (not a bad place to pick one up for a trial run) for $75. It was practically new, and has worked out great so far. It's a little bulky (25lbs +/-) but I have plenty of room to maneuver and it's more comfortable than my hangers. Very simple and very user-friendly. 

Proline

Postby Proline » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:05 pm

IMO, there is no such thing as a "perfect" climber.  I have used so many and they all have a limitation or quirk in them. Right now I'm using the Equalizer.  Not bad. Grips tree well.  The leveling feature is great. The seat sux as do the "positive locking straps".  Converted seat to the Hazmore sling which has helped. It is solid in the tree.  API is decent but not the quality it was before BassPro got it. If I was looking now I would definately go to Summit.  Well built, comfortable and they have more accessories than any other comapny I have seen.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:50 pm

This thread got me to buy a Lone Wolf Hand Climber about a month ago. Thanks alot Patriot. [:D] [;)] . I was going to buy the Summit Viper SS but the Gander Mountain in my area were sold out of them and it was that day I was desperately in need of a new climber. Seriously, life is so much easier now in the woods. It weighs about 15 lbs. Totally worth the money.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Previous

Return to Treestands