Illinois Hunting Journal 2012

buckwild

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2012

Postby buckwild » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:35 pm

To cut to the chase - I didn't bring a deer home during the 2nd season. Things were pretty quiet in the public ground that I hunt. There were not too many shots heard. I did have a standing shot from my tree stand on a doe that was hustling through on Thursday morning. After the shot, she took off like a rocket and never broke stride. She ran hard along a ridge for about 100 yards before disappearing. She didn't run like she had been hit. I climbed down to inspect the spot where she was standing. After close inspection, it looks like I grazed her fur, and that is why she ran so hard. I followed her path. It was fairly easy to see in the leaves. I never saw anything that indicated that the slug broke skin.

There were a few more sightings, and even followed a couple deer in the scope, but another shot never presented itself.

The highlight of the weekend was actually seeing and absolute monster while driving in on opening thursday. At about 0400 I was banking around a left curve and saw a deer on the right side of the road and I immediately started to brake. It took no time to recognize that this was a really big deer. He crossed the road in front of me, and it was amazing to see how tall and thick his tines were. I continued braking throughout the encounter and actually came to a stop right where he was trying to determine where to cross the thick brush in the tree line. As he ran this way and that, I got a good view of his rack from behind. The width was very revealing because his inside spread was just as impressive as his height and girth. The entire encounter probably lasted about 10 seconds. He finally decided on a spot to run through the tree line and into the cut corn field on the other side. With the full moon I could see him fairly clearly as he ran across the field. I am no expert on field judging, but a sub-contractor was in the office last week and showed some trail cam pictures which included a really nice 10 pointer that he guessed to be in the 140's. If his deer was in the 140's, this deer was every bit in the 170's or 180's. I have never seen one that large in person, and was instantly fired up to have the next 4 days to hunt!!

I did find out that my nephew and I get tags for the late winter season! It ain't over yet!!
Semper Fidelis!

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Had an awesome hunt Saturday morning... I couldn't get out for thur/fri of 2nd session, but at daylight Saturday I was sitting in a ditch on the open field farm that I hunt with my wife's uncle. Just before 7:00 I saw a doe, then a buck behind her. He was probably around 400 yds away across the field in a different ditch, so I hit my can call. He acted somewhat interested, then started to move away... I hit him with a combination of can and grunt calls, then blasted a snort wheeze... His head snapped up and his chest puffed out, then he came on a string right to where I was sitting. He cut across the field to the ditch I was in, then turned and walked literally straight at me for about 150 yds... When he was about 40 yds out he finally saw me and stopped, so I shot center mass on his chest. He stumbled and wheeled around and headed out into the plowed corn field, did a long slow circle and slowly fell over... Then he picked his head up and was looking around.

I was bummed that I didn't make a perfect shot, but I decided to wait him out. After about an hour, he hadn't moved, but he hadn't died either. I tried to sneak in for a finisher, and he got up and ran about 20 yards, then collapsed again. I decided to sneak through the dredge ditches to get in a better position... during the next hour of stalking the ditch I was within 50 yds of a group of 6 deer (1 small 8 pt and 5 does), but I only had the 1 tag for the buck I'd shot... I got to where I thought I had a good vantage point, then glassed for another half hour. I finally picked out his antlers sticking up over the horizon... He was in a depression out in the middle of the field with high ground between me and him. After 2 more does ran through the field and stopped about 20 yds from me (again... no tag to shoot more deer with) I spotted 2 coyotes out in the field. That got me nervous, so I started to army crawl... flat out on my belly and knees and elbows with the shotgun in my hands... out across the field to get close enough for a finisher. I closed to about 130 yds and shot, missing the neck by about 2 inches. He got up and I shot again, which knocked him down after just a few steps. I then quickly closed and got one in the neck to finish him off as quickly as possible.

I was really feeling kind of bummed that I didn't make a good shot with such an awesome first opportunity to make a clean kill, but I am glad I was able to get the job done. I definitely worked hard for this guy...
Attachments
PC010415.JPG
PC010415.JPG (239.2 KiB) Viewed 1950 times
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Thats a good lookin' buck there Deebz. Nice Job!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:49 am

Thats a nice one Deebz. Congrats!
Semper Fidelis!

bobow

Postby bobow » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:28 pm

Deebz wrote:Had an awesome hunt Saturday morning

Way to go Dude! That is a great looking buck :)
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Really nice buck Deebz. Nothing great comes easy...way to follow up.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks guys! I'm just hoping the weather cooperates enough to hopefully get my wife in front of a deer before the season ends... we actually have quite a bit of time here in IL for bow season yet...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:23 am

Deebz wrote:Had an awesome hunt Saturday morning. I definitely worked hard for this guy...

Boy, you really did work hard for that one. Nice buck. It is so nice when you can bring them to you.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:27 am

Well done Deebz. Too many weekend warriors, would have decided he wasn't hit hard enough to die, and gone after another one. The way I see it, IF you take that shot, be prepared to follow through and finish the job. You upheld my expectations. Well done. :D
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to Illinois