Getting that itch

buckwild

Getting that itch

Postby buckwild » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:17 pm

The hunting bug has been sinking in earlier every year. I hunt public land and qualified to hunt some new ground this year. really excited. it is only about 15 minutes from my house. It has a really big prairie that kind of bummed me out at first because about half of the land is open, and they let like 13-14 people hunt it. Then I walked through the prairie with a friend to scout and fish in the river that borders the park. The prairie had plants totally different than anything I see hunting in other places. All I could think was nutrition. Looked like the produce aisle at the grocery store. Plus we clobbered the small mouth! Can't wait to report...
Semper Fidelis!

buckwild

Re: Getting that itch

Postby buckwild » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:11 pm

I've been scouting that place quite a bit. Walking the trails mostly. Don't want to educate the deer too much. They snort at me enough on the trails so Ive been reluctant to go where the deer don't normally see people. (that said - I havent seen any people.)

The latest trip was last Friday. The satellite images show one large area that is kind of like a wheel. The area has three open prairies that alternate with three wooded areas as you go around the "wheel". The center (I'm calling it the "hub") is prairie with scattered bushes and trees. The "hub" seemed like a natural place to travel between the wooded areas. I set up in Friday evening along a tree line down wind of the hub and watched with my binoculars.

I saw two doe groups during the 1 hr sit. There was another doe group that busted me on the trial on the way in. there was another deer blowing at me on the trail that I never saw on the way in. And on the way out, I heard some type of vehicle going along a trail that caused another deer to blow about 30 times. (the vehicle wasn't supposed to be in there.)

I think I need to get in earlier. The deer are on the move before I get off work!
Semper Fidelis!

Return to Illinois