Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Deebz

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Postby Deebz » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:33 am

I'll ask, but you know these farmers... everything has to be mowed and look nice.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Score! I don't know how things work for the hunters on private land, but I just logged on to the dnr website and saw that I drew tags for the late winter shotgun season at the state forest I hunt. Two more weekends of toting the shotgut in the woods - pow!
Semper Fidelis!

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:03 pm

Well, it had been over 2 and a half months since I hunted last, an October 6th hunt that yielded a mature doe. With temps in the low 50's I figured that if I was going to make it out for another hunt this year, this would be a good day to do it. I had not seen any deer until just after sunset. I caught movement across the creek out in front of me. I grabbed the bow and waited to for the deer to come out from behind the big oak tree that blocked my view of the creek. After awhile, a small doe popped up on my side of the creek and trotted out to my right. She was followed by another doe, then another, and another…finally a buck was following behind. A little 5 or 6 pt I think. In all there were 7 deer and all of them were within bow range. Some were 20 yards, some 30. I tried to pick out the biggest doe out of the group, but struggled. Finally, one of the does stopped broadside at about 25 yards and was looking in my direction. I decided I may not have much time left to think about things so I drew back, settle my pin and let her rip. The deer all tore out of there, headed Northeast. . I saw one deer turn an come back to the West a bit. I hoped it was my deer. Light was fading fast so I immediately got down and found my arrow to assess the situation. It was covered in blood. I started to look for the blood trail and quickly found it. She bled well, with sprays of blood every 5 ft or so. Eventually I found her and she was indeed the deer that had come back my way. I thanked God for the chance to harvest her and thought about what I had accomplished this year. I normally hunt about 30 times throughout the season, and often times it is a battle to get a deer on the ground. This year, I hunted three times, and came away with two adult does. Pretty remarkable. I give all the glory to God for guiding me to the right spot at the right time.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:09 pm

Here is a picture of me with my doe.

Doe 12-28-13.jpg
Doe 12-28-13.jpg (49.69 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:44 pm

Congratulations! I may try to sneak out for a late season hunt here in the next week, but mostly only to pick up my trail cams. Season was really disappointing on my end, but I did get to see a few deer and had some good times with some hunting buddies...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:24 am

Thought I'd drop a post on here just to keep everyone's spirits up. After such a disappointing season, I've been feeling kind of bummed about the prospects for next year. This super long and cold winter hasn't helped in that regard either. Anyway, the one thing going for me right now is that my baseball team is going at it full bore. We've managed to start off our season 3-0 by short gaming each of the 3 teams we've played so far. I'm pumped for the rest of season, especially since it will hopefully warm up!

Also, after last night's game I had to make a diaper/formula run, and on the way home right at dusk I was spotting groups of 4-5 deer out in the fields. I even had to stop and wait for a group of 8 does to decide if they were going to cross the road or not. I also saw a fairly large group of turkeys (BigHorse, you probably could have shot one if you were on the west edge of your timber)

So yeah, while I'm really busy and don't get to spend as much time at home with the wife and daughter, I'm feeling a bit better about next year's prospects in the deer stand. Now I just need to sneak in a trip to my timber to look for sheds and grab my cameras (hope they're still there....)

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:03 am

I've been seeing several deer out feeding in the evenings as well. And I've been seeing Turkeys for the last couple of weeks too. But I'm a little pissed at myself because I recently realized I forgot to apply for my spring turkey permit. But hopefully spring is in sight. I guess I'll have to try a little fishing to get me in the woods.

Congrats on the baseball season. My son told me just last night this may be the first time he ever remembers us starting ever boys sport with winning records. It's a great day to be a Bearcat!
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Previous

Return to Illinois