2009 Hunting Report

Legnip

RE: 2009 Hunting Report

Postby Legnip » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:25 pm

I went out Sunday afternoon and the weather was finally nice. I 5-6 does and a flock of turkeys. The deer were giving the turkeys a modified snort/cough, which was kind of strange and kind of like the snort that a retreiver will do when on a trail. All of the does were traveling as singles. I had a small doe or nubby bed down at 36 yards. I thought it must have been a nubby that was kicked out of the house by Momma Doe, but???
From those who much is given, much is expected

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:41 am

Hello all,

New to the Forum, I have been following for about a month now. Where are all the Illinois bow hunters?? Is no one willing to share any info?

I have been bow hunting for about 25+ years and the last 4 years I was unable to get out much with a new job and building my house. But I am hitting it full force this year!

Anyhow, I fianly decided to retire my old XI impulse and move on to a new PSE about a week before season opened. I was a little nervious about the change but 15 min. after setting it up I was shooting 3 inch groups at 30 yards and about 100fps faster.

I have been out about 12 times, seen deer every time, not all in range but I have seen them. only a couple with head gear. I was able to rattle up a 6 pointer this weekend luky for him my rattling horns are bigger than his, or he would have been down.

I would really like to hear from the rest of the flat landers, otherwise I am going to have to continue reading the Cheese Heads Post.

Good luck.

bobow

Postby bobow » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:50 am

I would really like to hear from the rest of the flat landers, otherwise I am going to have to continue reading the Cheese Heads Post.

I have not seen anything the last four mornings I was out.  10/16, 17, 24 & this morning.

I would be happy to report something if there was something to report.

Good Luck to all.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:04 am

Sorry to hear that bobow, I am also in north central Illinois. To be honest I am extremley suprised I saw anything as much corn as we have up around here, and talking to the farmers we will be lucky if it out by 2nd gun season.

Good and bad news, I saw a small buck this moring standing out in the middle of a field, and about a mile down the road a doe that was hit by a car, on my way to work so they might be picking up the pace a bit this weekend.

Does any one have any advice on hunting from a ground blind? I want to take my son out with me in the very near future. The reason I ask is I have only hunted from tree stands, I have a double vision 2 seater out, but it is really a better set up for gun season.

Good luck!

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:23 am

corn out by 2nd gun season?  I am wondering if it's coming out. sitting here watching the rain again. I started roofing my house about 3 weeks ago. got the back side torn off and reshingled, have not touched the front. so what do you do when you finally get a nice day, roof or deer hunt?    So where is North Central IL? 

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:35 am

I agree, that is what I think the farmer ment when he said you would be lucky if it was out second season, as he looked up to the sky.

Winnebago county near the stateline.

Deer hunt without a doubt, but I know where your coming from it hard to enjoy stand time when you have a project like that hanging over your head.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:43 am

you are right about the project, but I think I will be okay with it. Last Sat I said heck with it and with the wife's blessing spent pretty much the whole day in the woods, got fortunate and took a small buck.  I think that was the last day it has not rained. itching to get back out, but I don't want snow on the unfinished roof. Might have to call some friends and sacrifice the backstrap to get it done. 

bobow

Postby bobow » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:37 am

So where is North Central IL?

I thought it was rather self explanatory, the central part of Northern IL [:D]

For me it is a couple miles south of Stillman Valley along the MIGHTY Stillman Creek.  The neighbor lets me hunt his 13 wooded acres that is surrounded by the creek, has a feeder creek running thru it and corn, beans and another pasture/wooded area.  It is a travel corridor.  No bedding that I have ever found.  It is not that thick anyway. 

I have seen a couple bed down during the day last year only due to being chased out of the fields by the combines.  That was the one and only bow kill I have.  I just started last year.

The first four days I was out I saw plenty of deer.  If I had my sight light at the time I would have taken a shot.  But I was not comfortable with it in the low light (legal light) so I didn't take it.  Now I am bummed [&:]

As far as the roof project goes, you have my permission to go hunting [:D]
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:27 am

sounds like you guys are almost Canadians.  You have more patience that me bow hunting from ground blind. I always feel like I am missing something and keep looking out all the windows.   I do look to gun hunt on the ground, usually only in a blind if it really cold. 

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Ah ha, I get it bobow, you are from the northern portion of central Illinois! where as I am from the central portion of northern Illinois. Sounds good, I have spent alot of time in my past life in the rochelle, oregon, stillman valley area great place to live.

Hey lot to learn 2, I have never hunted from a ground blind (I don't even own one) I was hoping someone might have some advice. I wanted to take my son out hunting and I thought it might be the way to go. I am not sure if he will sit still long enough to get deer into bow range. Plus I thought it might help cover up a little more scent. To me it seems two people in a tree stand = twice as easy to get busted by the mature buck. as far as being canadian, sorry I have been a F.I.B. all my life.

I guess I am getting a bit off track here, this is supposed to be a hunting report, hopefully I will have some thing to report come monday or sooner.

Good luck all!

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois