IL. deer hunter- herd observations

EatDeer

IL. deer hunter- herd observations

Postby EatDeer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:52 am

Compared to the previous IL., deer-seasons, did you observe more, or less live deer this past season while hunting whitetails?

Woods Walker

RE: IL. deer hunter- herd observations

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:48 pm

I'd say overall, just as many, but maybe slighty fewer bucks. I'm not saying that there's fewer bucks, but just that I didn't see them.

Where we hunt in Brown County, the first 2 weeks of November bucks were running all over the place. By the time the first gun season came around, they were scarce. In fact, this was the first gun season opener in close to two decades where I didn't see A buck! I killed three does, but not a rooster to be seen!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JChurch

Postby JChurch » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:31 pm

Same for me lots of deer not alot of bucks,saw several non shooter bucks during early bow season and a couple of shooters but once shotgun season came around not much in the way of headgear but lots of does

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:28 pm

i was fortunate to see quite a few bucks during archery. but only saw one during gun season and he was locked to a doe hard. as far as numbers i dont see anything different other than i do see more bucks than i used to. big and small.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

deathletter12

Postby deathletter12 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:07 am

seeing a lot of bucks in calhoun, but nothing worth shooting. All the bucks are only getting to about 130", i don't think the bucks are making it to 4 or 5 years old before they get shot. Anyone hunting in Cahoun please shoot a doe and let all the 130" grow up.

wolfcliff

Postby wolfcliff » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:40 am

In archery it was slow until about the first of Nov. and when the corn was picked in the area. Shotgun season opened and I noticed a sharp dropoff of daytime activity. I did get a shot at a mature 11pt , but had to get right in the corn with em'

Will be out the rest of Muzz this weekend to fill the freezer, and the rtest of the family lookin' for Mr. Big Horns. We have some really great trail cam pics. Just seems they are only moving at night and with the full moon - well we'll see.
Cliff

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:45 pm

about the same as the rest of you, I have seen more bucks this year, only 2 trophy racks. I have seen more movement in last couple days, seems like they are started to herd up. I saw around 20 together with a ridiculously tall rack in the middle of the afternoon yesterday. Of course this was on the way to the farm on someone else. I saw around 20 together tonight in a different field with a nice buck. One doe hanging in the garage and hope to get her some company tomorrow. 

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:18 am

I saw less this year than past years, it could be due to standing corn ( but most of it was out in my area) but here in Winnebago county they have added CWD/ late season a few years back and I think it has thinned the herd out here.

Also, I have been told the DNR has done some sharp shooting in the area.

Return to Illinois