Need info. Carrollton, IL

cmartin

Need info. Carrollton, IL

Postby cmartin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:20 am

Recently moved to IL after 12 years in the USMC.  Got lucky and I'm hunting some private land near Carrollton, IL.  Is anyone hunting around that area that could provide me info on on what to expect regarding deer population and activities?  Will the rut be over by the start of gun season?

Thanks for any/all any info you can provide.

epapineau

RE: Need info. Carrollton, IL

Postby epapineau » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:42 am

Welcome to IL. I was in for 4 and got out 2 years ago. I'll be livin in Kankakee, IL come December (about 4 hours Northeast of Carrollton. I don't know much about the area, but My family processes a lot of deer from around the state and the first gun season always seems to end up on the rut.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:44 pm

I live about 10 miles from Carrollton, I hesitate to say anything about the rut but I cannot imagine it won't be going strong next Friday when gun season starts. Where abouts are you hunting?   I have lived her pretty much all my life, except college and Navy so I know the area really well. Let me know if I can help with anything.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:47 pm

In regards to deer population, that will not be a problem, I will be interested to hear where you are hunting.  Anywhere in this area is good, you will see a lot of deer and you will sure have a chance at a wall hanger eventually. 

cmartin

Postby cmartin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:54 pm

Not really sure.  I was invited down by a co-worker whose family has some land in the area.  A couple hundred acres or so I'm told.  I'm just thankful I have a place to hunt.  This state is the worst state I have ever attempted to hunt, in regards to access, and I have have lived in 8 states.

I will ask a few questions and see if find out more details. 

Thanks and good luck.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:43 am

access no doubt, if you don't own land or get to hunt someone else's you are screwed. That is why people around here dislike outfitters so much. land they got to hunt their whole lives and now some people had to give up deer hunting period. I am lucky, in laws have land. That is actually why I started hunting. If I can help with anything let me know, happy to help out if I can. 

epapineau

Postby epapineau » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:25 am

ORIGINAL: Lot to Learn 2

access no doubt, if you don't own land or get to hunt someone else's you are screwed.

too true. I have been forced to hunt on public land in Kankakee for the past 2 years! It has been a frustrating 2 hunting seasons

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:16 am

I bow hunt a bit in Madison County which is less than an hour from where you are. You should see plenty of good deer where you are hunting. Good luck and welcome!!

cmartin

Postby cmartin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:56 am

Thanks to all.  I am off to Greene county in the am.  Good luck and keep your powder dry gents.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:35 am

hope you don't have to swim to your stand!! 

Return to Illinois