Jerky?

broomist

Jerky?

Postby broomist » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:19 pm

Have had quite a bit of luck making jerky over the past couple of years, building my own drying/smoking units and so forth... would REALLY like to find someone willing to part with some venison.... reasonably, I hope! I;ve worked only with beef so far, but have found that "the less fat the better I like it", and trying game is a logical next step, no? Email me at broomist @ gmail.com (no spaces) or fax me at 866-825-8899. I am in Orland Park, IL (south of Chicago 1 hour). Thanks!

kellory

Re: Jerky?

Postby kellory » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:03 pm

You might want to check with your DNR on that before proceeding. Here in Ohio, it is not allowed to buy, or sell wild game. Gift is ok. But it can not be a business transaction. And crossing state lines with it could be a violation of the Lacey act. (if not legal in your area) Don't want you to have a problem, so make sure first, ;) ok?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Sounds like the rule is pretty much the same here in IL. A gift of wild game is fine, you just can't sell it. I'd hate to think of what venison would cost per pound anyway if you factored in the cost of equipment and tags, plus the man-hours it takes to obtain it!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Broom: Check this place out. It's not too far from you.

http://www.czimers.com/

They sell farm raised venison. All legal.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Good call, Woodsie, I forgot farm raised entirely. I believe you can also get rabbit that way. :oops:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

ray50key

Postby ray50key » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:02 am

hi i am also building my own drying/smoking . Can give me some tips for it. If you share something it would be help me .

Return to Illinois