Transportation of dressed deer

Mouseskowitz

Transportation of dressed deer

Postby Mouseskowitz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:22 pm

I'm finding that there are some thing about Chicago that are a pain in the @$$. I came down here from WI for school. While I was back up there for Thanksgiving I got a deer. Because of time I ended up strapping it to the trunk of the car to bring it home. That ended up causing quite a fuss. People ended up calling and complaining about the car sitting in the parking lot for a couple of hours before I could take it to be processed. Security ended up getting involved and were threatening to tow my car and saying it was illegal to have the deer on there. Anyone have any idea what laws are out there either protecting or preventing the transportation of dressed deer in Chicago?
The only thing I have found is that I have to take it to a licensed meat processor within 72 hours of bringing it into the state. I asked this on one of those free legal sites and the lawyers on there think it's a misdemeanor to have it tied on there. I'm hoping they're city foke who know nothing but I can't find anything in black and white either way.

gatodoc

Re: Transportation of dressed deer

Postby gatodoc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:27 pm

Didn't Obama get his start there? Explains a lot.....

Down here in the South, people would be taking pictures of it to send their friends showing what a great hunter you are.... :)

Mouseskowitz

Postby Mouseskowitz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Yup I have a pic up on Facebook. People are getting a kick out of the story and how "odd" city foke can be.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:54 pm

One word describes it all......................"CITIOTS"

The hoodrats can have a bloodbath every weekend and that barely raises an eyebrow anymore, but a deer??? HORRORS!!!!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:52 pm

I see both sides of this. For the side of the non-hunter, I will relate what I have heard from my mom time and time again. She grew up outside of Chicago, as did I. So many time she told me about a couple of times she traveled with her family while young, and then again after marriage, seeing dead deer strapped to cars. The top, the trunk, even the hood. (I would think the heat from the engine would spoil the meat.). But she was horrified. Her first impression of hunting was a mix of my grandfather shooting pheasant as she watched, and seeing beautiful deer dead and strapped to cars in what she remembers as this endless procession of corpses. She even relayed this story to me again when I slipped up and mentioned I was going hunting.

Somehow, despite not being brought up with hunting, and hearing these stories, I hunt anyway. But I can see how this may not be a terrific impression for some people. The solution? I am not sure there really is one, because I believe in the rights of hunters, and when I see a dead deer on the back of a car in a parking lot, I am checking it out and congratulating the driver.

My own decision is that someday (a million years from now when I finally shoot one) is that when I have a deer to transport, I will stash it in the back of my suv. Maybe at the local store I will notice someone else's deer and have an opportunity to strike up a conversation and show mine off too. But if I had a car, not an SUV, on to the back it would have to go, in a tarp, out of respect for my mom and people like her.

On one hand I think people should be able to transport them however they deem fit to do so. On the other hand, don't want hunters to get any more of a bad rap. I am unsure where I stand as of now.

I wish it were so simple as to just do as you please. Because I would be the first one to want to pull into the local store where everyone congregates with a nice deer for all to see.

Oh, but to answer the initial question, no. I do not believe it should ever be illegal to be transporting a deer as you did! I think how you do it should only EVER be a matter of personal preference.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Mouseskowitz

Postby Mouseskowitz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 pm

I can see your point and understand it. The odd thing is that most of the people that live here are medical students of one sort or another and take part in cadaver dissection, so I would think a deer shouldn't bother them. The big issue I'm having is trying to find out what rights I have so that next time I can hopefully tell people to mind their own business and stop harassing me.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:15 pm

You certainly don't deserve to be harassed. Just remind yourself how much fun they are missing out on by not hunting.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:29 pm

I agree with Sierra's first post. I don't understand the necessity of transporting a deer in the manner you described, which clearly will aggravate some people. And, based on the description, when people starting giving you grief it was not being transported, it was laying on a car in a parking lot.

Return to Illinois