Big Horse

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Postby Big Horse » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Nice!
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:04 pm

looks like you had fun, Deebz, congrats! ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

stu27

Postby stu27 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:12 am

Nice fish Deebz!

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:45 am

October 21, 2013

A west wind gusting to 15 MPH and temps around 45 degrees about 5:20 I crawled in a pop up ground blind I set over a small picked corn field a few weeks ago that borders about 70 acres of bottom ground in a tree program.

About 6:20 a doe and twins emerged from the bottom and filtered out into an alfalfa field on the outer edge of the corn field. After feeding for about 15 minutes the doe came down out of the hay and started working the inside edge of the trees towards me from about 150 yards out. She walked to within about 75 yards and then disappeared back into the trees. About 5 minutes later one of the fawns came running down the same trail and followed mom into the trees. The other fawn hung around in the alfalfa grazing for about 10 more minutes and then went searching for the others. Having taken a slightly different route she missed where the Doe turned into the trees and kept coming towards my blind till she was about 40 yards out. I could hear her soft bleat as she was trying to locate her mother then she turned around and followed the tree line until she located her mothers scent and returned to the bottom ground trees as well.

I sat until dark without seeing anything else and then made my way out to the truck unnoticed.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:50 pm

Thanks Guys! I did have a blast for sure, and caught some really nice fish.

Hey BigHorse, have you noticed more deer activity in your timber with the corn coming out of the north field?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Last night was the first time I had been out since they picked that field. There is still standing corn 1/2 mile north of me, a field right across the road south of me, and one 1/4 mile west of me. I've mostly been seeing does with fawns.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:11 pm

October 24, 2013

Back in stand. I went to a stand I hadn't hunted yet this year. It was about 45 degrees with a NW wind. The stand is located in the farthest west end of the property that is normally accessed by vehicle from the east end. The property is locked from vehicle entrance on 3 sides due to water. So rather than drive through the entire property, I walked in from the road on the south side and waded the creek to gain entrance to the bottom ground I wanted to hunt. I was in stand at right about 5 PM.

But I wasn't there long, about 10 minutes when the action began. A young 6 point, probably a 1 1/2 year old came in from my left and worked right down in front of me. I decided to pass this early in the season, but he offered me several perfect opportunities had I wanted to. He stood eating, quartering away, at 15 yards for a while, then he entertained me for quite some time working over a licking branch, busting small branches off, licking the ends, and marking the area. He messed around within 10-30 yards of me for almost 40 minutes completely unaware of my presence. At one point I had a doe walk by about 50 yards to my right, and the buck didn't even see her he was so intent on his licking branch.

Just after 6 I had a young doe walking down the trail towards me, but for some reason I will never know, at about 40 yards she stopped dead. blew, and ran off. She was completely upwind of me in the same direction the buck had been so I'm not sure what spooked her. I crawled out about dark, and think I might return to that stand in the next couple days if the wind is right.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:31 pm

I love watching deer go about their business when they have no idea you're there. Cool hunt.

Planning on getting out tomorrow... I'll let the wind decide if I hunt my point stand or the bottom stand... I only hunted the bottom stand 2 times last year, so I'm hoping I can slip in and have some success. Cold temps should have the deer moving!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

stu27

Postby stu27 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:39 am

Last night was by far my best night in the stand to date. Quite a few more deer on their feet starting about 5:15 or so. Had a couple of what appeared to be decent bucks out in the cut bean field I was on at about 6pm. Being down in a bit of a valley, the light was going quick and I didn't get great looks. One appeared to be younger but the other I'd definitely like to see again. He looked to be at very least a marginal shooter. Just not enough light to tell.

Anyone have any luck?

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:17 am

ggr... just typed a somewhat lengthy recap of my weekend, and I lost it all when I had to log back in for some reason.

Long story short:

3 does first light saturday... running around the field very spooky. High winds probable culprit. They cruised by me at about 75 yds, no shot.

BIG coyote, too far to shoot.

Nice 9 pointer, watched him feed at 70 yards for about a half hour, then he bedded down. Had to leave for a visit from parents, no shot.

afternoon: perfect conditions: no movement.

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois