Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

4khorn

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Postby 4khorn » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:31 pm

My hunt this morning was a bust. I jumped a deer as I walked to the stand but did not see any while sitting. The squirrels were inactive too so there was nothing to watch but the blowing leaves. Still, it was good to get back out there.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:43 am

I made it out for an afternoon hunt Sunday evening. Cold front came through, and the wind was perfect for my best stand so I had high hopes. My only real concern was that the hunter that I share the property with had been hunting the past 4 evenings and not seeing much. But I figured if the deer were going to move the cold snap would do it. I got to the stand at 4:30 and settled in. With all of the leaves on the trees it sure makes it hard to see anything. Any deer I would see would nearly be in bow range before I caught sight of them. So I did my best to stay alert. Time passed and my confidence began to fade with daylight. But finally, just after sunset I saw a doe behind me. She didn't stay long, working her way away from me toward the soybean field I was hunting near. Once she disappeared, I hung my bow back up and slowly looked to the other side of the stand. To my disbelief, another doe was standing 20 yards away and directly downwind. Deer rarely come from that direction so it took my by surprise. I grabbed my bow undetected and somehow was able to get drawn as she walked broadside at 15 yards. I punched the release and the arrow made a full pass through. I watched as she bolted across the creek and out of sight. I was losing light fast so I got down to check my arrow and locate the blood trail. I decided to go back to the truck to get my field dressing gear and have my dad come out and help with the tracking job. We didn't have to track her far. She only made it another 30 yards after I had lost sight of her. I did not weigh her but she was a pretty solid doe. I would guess 2 1/2 years old. This is the earliest I have ever harvested a deer and it was much needed with the baby on the way in a month. God blessed me with the opportunity to harvest a beautiful animal and for that I am thankful. I hope the rest of you taste similar success this season. Here is a picture. Kinda bummed that this is the best I could do. I normally try to avoid the truck bed pics, but we were in a time crunch to get her to a processer.
Doe10-7-13.jpg
Doe 10-7-13
Doe10-7-13.jpg (90.38 KiB) Viewed 832 times
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 am

Congrats 4khorn!!

I love it when it just happens like that. My biggest bow buck happened kind of like that for me. I was watching deer out in the field and heard a noise, then looked to see a nice buck working a scrape 20 yards away...

We get a 3 day weekend this coming weekend, so I'll be donning orange due to youth season and hitting the woods with my bow. Hopefully I get to at least see some deer.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:43 am

Nice job 4khorn.

I had planned to hunt last nite but the winds just became too much.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:48 am

October 4, 2013

It’s hot for October. I climbed in stand at 5:15pm and my cell phone says it’s 86 degrees. I went to a stand that has been nicknamed the killing stand, because I’ve killed more deer from this stand than anywhere else on the property. When I first put a stand in this tree in 1991, it overlooked a 6 acre pasture of bottom ground in CRP. It is surrounded by creek on two sides and a ridge of trees circles from the creek back to the opposite end where my stand is and there is about an 80 Yard opening between the creek and my tree line, creating a funnel. About 10 years ago, the CRP was planted in the tree program, and now the 6 acres has grown into one of the most dense, thickest areas on the property with a 30 yard circle cut out in front of my stand where I have a small food plot. I cannot see a deer until it is at least within 40 yards from me, often times 20.

It was an uneventful night with no deer entering my hunt zone. I climbed down as it was getting dark and headed back towards my truck, to find a nice deer standing 50 yards in front of my Bronco. It was so dark I couldn’t tell if it had antlers, but judging from the size its body as I watched the white flag bound over the hill away from me I’m guessing it was a buck. Such the luck…

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:03 am

October 5, 2013

It’s still rather warm, and very humid. I made it in stand at 6am. I’m hunting a stand I refer to as the camp ground stand, because it’s located close to a site where we used to do lot of camping when the kids were little.

Just after first light I had that feeling I wasn’t alone, and then I caught a doe with twins slipping through the timber behind me about 40 yards. There was a south wind and of course they were directly downwind. When they got straight north of me they paused for a second, winded, and walked off away from me. I sat until 9am and never saw another deer.

I have been hearing about people finding dead deer that have fallen to EDH in the area, and decided to walk the creek out to my truck. Stalking through the woods I jumped two more small does, and a turkey. The good news is I didn’t find any EDH deer.

I had planned to return for an evening hunt, but heavy storms with lightning blew up in the afternoon, and there were more on the way. With the still high temps and approaching storms I wouldn’t be able to leave a deer overnight, and everything covered in water with the threat of more storms would make tracking difficult, so I decided to pass on the evening hunt.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 am

You didn't miss out on much Deebz. Between heat, humidity, thunder storms and high winds the weather kinda sucked for hunting this weekend.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:16 am

There is that consolation, I suppose. I could definitely use some treestand therapy, regardless. Can't wait for this weekend.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:37 pm

October 7, 2013

Well it was an interesting evening. The wife decided she wanted to go hunting with me, something she usually does once or twice a year. She likes to go early season when the weather is nice. We climbed in stand about 5:15, I strapped us both in with safety harnesses, and she sat and read on her I Pad while I watched for deer.

About 6:10 a doe came out in the corn stalks behind us about 300 yards and was eating in the field. About 6:25 a second doe joined the first one. About 6:35 two turkeys flew up to roost and scared the crap out of the wife. AS darkness was growing I was just about to start getting ready to leave when I spotted a doe coming down a mowed trail towards us. We settled in and watched as the doe walked into the small food plot we were hunting over, head down eating, and she stopped 15 yards broadside.

I released and watched as my arrow entered just behind the forward reaching front leg, and “CRACK!” there was a very loud strange noise and we watched as my lighted nock came back towards us. The deer spun to it’s left and darted off into the dense cover and timber.

My wife says “I’ve never seen an arrow come back out like that” I replied, “neither have I”. Then we gathered our stuff and climbed down to inspect the arrow. I walk over to where I can see my glowing nock in the grass and go to pick up the arrow to find, it isn’t there. It’s just the nock. I go to where the deer was standing to look for blood and while I’m inspecting the area, my wife finds my arrow lying about 8-10 ft to the right.

The first thing I notice is the arrow doesn’t have a broad head or the insert. The second thing I notice is there is dark red blood and hair about 6-7 inches up the arrow shaft. So whatever I hit, It hit with such force that at instant deceleration, it caused the nock to shoot out of the arrow shaft about 10 yards back towards me, and it shoved the insert and broad head, through the carbon shaft of my Gold Tip splitting the end of the arrow open. I’m guessing it hit bone of the opposite side leg.

And to make matters worse, I can’t find any blood. I looked on the ground where she stood. On the grasses where she entered the thicket, and I walked the main trail where she entered and never found a drop of blood. This was the first time my wife had ever been with me when I shot something. We were both pretty excited about that, but the excitement soon disappeared. We pulled out to resume the search in the morning…

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 pm

October 8, 2013

At first light I returned to the location where I shot the doe the night before and after some time trying I was still unable to locate any blood. So I decided to grid pattern search the entire field below my stand where I was hunting. 3 hours later I had searched the entire bottom ground in front of that stand, walked the creek bank that boarders the perimeter of that field, and walked a small grass patch that is located across the other side of a boarding corn field, and found nothing. My best guess is that she crossed the creek the surrounds me on two sides and went on the neighboring property where I do not have permission to go, and currently there is about 180 acres of standing corn. Sometimes I think I’m cursed.

A little after 5pm I crawled back into stand. I sat in a different stand that’s located in one of two giant cotton woods that stand in the middle of a different bottom ground field. It’s a hang on stand about 25 ft. in the air and there is an old TV antenna leaning in the tree I use for the ladder. Due to its location and height I can see further from this stand than any other stand I have. I crawled out at dark without seeing a deer. This day was nothing but one big disappointment.

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois