Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Deebz

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2013

Postby Deebz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:46 pm

Bummer... I absolutely HATE knowing I put a good shot on a deer and not finding it. It's crazy that there wasn't even any blood to find. Was the entrance hole high up on the body?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:23 pm

I didn't think so. tI looked about perfect to me. Everything went just as if I had drawn up a plan until that arrow came apart and came spitting back out at us. I have had some strange experiences bow hunting over the years, but this was a new one on me.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Big Horse,

That stinks about not finding your deer. I guess those things happen from time to time. Take heart in knowing that you took a good shot. A lot of deer are lost due to poor judgement and taking risky or long range shots. Not the case here. Just darn bad luck. Keep after 'em and thanks for always sharing.

Deebz,

I hope the woods can provide the therapy and rejuvination you need after the loss of your uncle. Hope you get out there soon.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:11 pm

So I WAS going to hunt in the morning. Got my bow out to shoot a few rounds. Pull it back with no arrow in to make everything looks good and the $#@!^&/$#@@! cable snaps! This same cable broke last year. Needless to say, I am not happy...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Deebz wrote:So I WAS going to hunt in the morning. Got my bow out to shoot a few rounds. Pull it back with no arrow in to make everything looks good and the $#@!^&/$#@@! cable snaps! This same cable broke last year. Needless to say, I am not happy...

I'll loan you one of mine, but you got to come get it...... ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:13 am

Thanks Kell, I'll let you know if it comes to that ;)

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi all. Glad to see activity on the forum. I was checkin things out pre-season and it was pretty slow.

Congrats on the addition to the families Deebz and 4khorn! The biggest blessing in my life are the little ones!!

I was fortunate enough to make it out on opening morning, and it was a really eventful day. I was blessed with putting a good shot on a big doe about 20 minutes into daylight. She went about 50 yards and went down, but I couldn't confirm that from the stand, because I couldn't see her. It looked like a good hit, but I couldn't get down to trail her for about two hours because of all the deer activity.

There was a yearling buck that was hanging out for quite a while. I figured he saw my downed doe because he kept going to the same spot about 65 yards from my stand, which was the direction she headed. He would go to where she was, and then wander to the East, then go back up to her, then wander to the West.

After a while, two more basket racked yearlings popped up right in front of me, and came within 14 yards. I had an either sex tag in my pocket but passed. (High hopes for the season on opening morning!) The first buck saw them come in and trotted over to them. One of the two new guys ran him off. The other new guy went to where the first buck was, and saw the downed doe. He let out a loud snort, and turned and ran right at me. Then he hung out for a few more minutes, snorting around.

Its game on! I hope everyone enjoys their season!

Here is a link to when the two yearlings came in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qmQRrw_bao

And another link to right after one of the new guys saw my doe and snorted around for a while. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CH5r81Aok
Attachments
Doe (640x480).jpg
Doe (640x480).jpg (322.96 KiB) Viewed 711 times
Semper Fidelis!

stu27

Postby stu27 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:32 am

Been out the last two Sunday evenings is all. Work has been nuts and with the warmer weather, I haven't pushed it too hard. Not a ton of movement either evening, but the good news is that last night I did finally get to lay eyes on a deer I've been after for a couple of years now. Thought he'd been killed during last year's muzzleloader season on a neighboring farm, but not the case! Pretty excited about that. All I've had over the last 2 seasons are pictures.........happy to at least get to see him once. Now here's to hoping that I get to see him inside of 40 yards here in the coming weeks!

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:40 am

So I bit the bullet and took a ride up to Cabela's in Hammond, IN on Sunday and bought a bow. I picked up a PSE Stinger for a really good price. I bought a bare bow and had them switch all my accessories over (with the exception of a new quiver, since I've been using a Quik-e-kwiver from the early 90's).... Spent a couple hours shooting in the yard and get her dialed in out to 30 yards. I like the bow, it's fast and quiet. I need to turn the draw down some, I think it's at 70 lbs right now. I can pull it without too much strain, but it's just more than I want to have to deal with on a cold day.

With Columbus Day yesterday I had a day off, so I hit the woods in the am. This was literally the first time I'd been to the property this year, something I've NEVER done before. With a North wind I chose to sit in the point stand where I've had good success in the past, and at the very least had the opportunity to watch deer from a distance. I spooked 2 deer on my mile walk in, but that's not uncommon. I got settled in the stand about 6:10, and not 3 minutes later I heard some heavy hoofbeats as a deer worked its way along the timber/field edge past my stand. It was too dark to see anything yet, so I can't be positive, but I think it was a buck. As I listened to it move off into the switchgrass ditch I was pretty sure I heard it rub on some of the scrub willows. I didn't see any other deer.

About 9:00, I looked out to the end of the ditch and saw some movement. I was excited, until I got the binos up and realize it was 3 guys standing on the back of a flatbed truck they'd driven out through the standing corn... They left about about 10 minutes. I was really confused as to what they were doing, until the pit bull came bounding past my stand a couple minutes later.

I figured the jig was up at that point as far as deer went, so I got down at about 9:30, hung a trail camera, then made my way out. I stopped at each of my stands really quickly just to make sure everything was good to go, then headed home.

No deer sighting, but a refreshing sit nonetheless.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:45 pm

October 10, 2013

I made it into the campground stand about 5:15. It was still in the low 80’s with a south wind at about 10 MPH. About 6:15 I had a doe with a fawn pass by at about 40 yards. It was a little farther than I was comfortable with through the trees, so I just watched as they walked by. I didn’t see anything else the remainder of the evening.

October 12, 2013

First day of Illinois youth season and I made it into the campground stand with my 14 year old daughter about 6am. Dressed in our orange we strapped into our tree and we watched as the sun rose. It was a beautiful morning in the40’s and the wind wasn’t noticeable. Unfortunately, we sat until 9am and never saw a deer. As long as a day in stand can be for me without seeing anything, it’s even more trying for a kid. But she hung in there, and she might have even got in a little nap leaning against dad as a pillow. The wedding of a friends daughter didn’t allow for an afternoon hunt.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois