First Time to Illinois

Newbie-Allgood

First Time to Illinois

Postby Newbie-Allgood » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:30 am

I'm headed to Fulton Co for the first muzzleloader hunt in December. I'll be hunting 100 acres of family land. It hasn't been hunted much over the last few years. I am from middle Georgia and hunt several hundred acres here.

I don't know what to expect, and would like some insight from those of you who have more experience in Illinois.

Any info will help, such as, is calling succesful that time of year? Do scents/attractants work? Hunt deep woods, or field edge's? Thanks in advance for any response. Good luck and be safe!

GB

Deebz

Re: First Time to Illinois

Postby Deebz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:17 am

Fulton County is pretty far south of me, but that late in the year the rut should be winding down some. You may still have luck with rattling/doe in estrus can call type things. I've personally never had a lot of luck with scents, but I guess it can't hurt. I'd try to find food sources and hunt there... field edges that haven't been chisel plowed and still have forage available would be a good bet.

Talk to the people who have been around the property and see if you can pick up any clues as to travel patterns and whatnot...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Newbie-Allgood

Postby Newbie-Allgood » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks for the response Deebz. I am looking forward to the trip.

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Welcome to the forum, and Illinois.

Like so many other things, how you hunt will depends on conditions. I like to start by scouting with technology. Google Earth shows pretty good satellite images. Another great resource is www.mytopo.com because is shows topography. I would use these two to try and identify any pinch points, funnels, bedding areas, conditions of neighboring properties, etc. It saves a ton of time trying to figure it out all from the ground, and you cant be more "low impact" than not being there. That said, nothing beats time in the field to learning the lay of the land, and learning how deer are using it based on deer sign.

Good luck!
Semper Fidelis!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:14 pm

I hunt in Brown County, which is just a little bit south of Fulton. For that time of year that you will be hunting I have bad news/good news/really good news.

Bad news....As Deebz mentioned the "fun part" of the rut...the chasing phase...is over. It can also get REAL cold, so make sure you have the right clothing to endure sub-freezing temps. Hand warmers and a hand muff, plus felt lined pac boots are mandatory.

Good news: The bucks are still looking for ladies. Find where the ladies are and concentrate on that. The cold can also work FOR you, in that the does (and all deer) need high carb/protein feed as the temps drop and they will be hitting those kind of food sources. In the area I hunt the hunting can seem spotty because the deer tend to be a little more concentrated in relation to those food sources.

And now here's the really good news....some the biggest bucks I've seen hunting down there, not to mention the biggest ones I've killed were all taken at that time of year. They ARE there, and they are hungry and....ahem....horny. The breedable does are fewer and they do seem to respond better to calling then too. That's probably the time of year I like to rattle the best. There's less cover so you can see, and the sound travels further.

When you do hunt it STAY OUT ALL DAY. If you want to change stands at mid-day that's fine. You may want to go to one that's in heavier cover near feed sources that are being used because that's where the does will be.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Newbie-Allgood

Postby Newbie-Allgood » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:46 am

Thanks for the responses guy's. I am absolutely pumped about this trip. I have high expectations, not necessarily about harvesting a "monster" buck, but the opportunity to see more quality/quantity than we have here.

Any other information that would help is much appreciated.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Don't get too over excited about "quantity". We have a lot of deer but there's not one behind every tree. You may not see ANY, and then you'll have a day where yo see quite a few.

But you can get excited about "quality". Like I said, you may not see the numbers of deer that you would in October or early November, but when you DO see some bucks they may very well be nice ones. I get pumped just thinking about being in the woods then.

I can relate quite a few stories of hunters that sat for 3 days then and saw nothing, only to kill the biggest buck of their lives the last morning. Hang in there!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Newbie-Allgood

Postby Newbie-Allgood » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Follow up:

We had a phenomenal time. Weather was cold( -3 with wind Saturday) but we were prepared. I saw deer averytime I sat. I saw 2 nice shooter bucks, but they were too far out to take a good shot. I did bring home a mature doe.

My partner was able to shoot a nice 8 point. The body of the buck was huge. We are not used to seeing such large bodied deer here in Georgia.

Will definitely make the trip next year.

Thanks for all the responses.
Attachments
20131206_173739.jpg
20131206_173739.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1008 times

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:29 pm

resized your pic ;) ;)
Attachments
20131206_173739 (Copy).jpg
20131206_173739 (Copy).jpg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 997 times
Doug

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Nicely done.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to Illinois