Hogs

Deebz

Hogs

Postby Deebz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:30 am

http://m.daily-journal.com/news/local/p ... l?mode=jqm

Sounds like this might be a case of a new group of feral hogs showing up near me. I had just mentioned that there aren't any hogs near where I'm hunting in the other feral hog thread, then I see this article about a place about half hour from me.

The article says the boar that was killed was probably at least 3rd generation wild hog.

So I have 2 reactions to this: crap, hogs ruin ground and outcompete deer; followed by: Hey, I might get to kill some pork....

What's your guys' take on this?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Re: Hogs

Postby kellory » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:36 pm

I think you need to find out what it would cost for an out of state hunter to hunt pigs in your state. I have a rotisserie pig roaster, I have been wanting to try out, but not iF I will get financially raped in the process.
pigs be hunted year round, and that might be a fun thing to do this summer. make a long camping weekend out of it just have a nice time.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Yeah, if they are here, I do believe I'd try my hardest to put some in the freezer.

I don't believe I'd like to encourage a herd to propagate though...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:55 pm

From what I have heard ,,,,, you won't have to encourage them. :oops: From what I am told you will have more hogs than you want. :roll: We have them in our area now and the state tried to trap them last year to get rid of them. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Guess there is no such thing.
Doug

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:06 am

I'm not convinced that that hog is a sign that they are here, but I think a glance at the rest of the country says it's inevitable before they are.

If I see one in range, fire up the smoker!
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm

I first saw this article posted on a FB page I follow... there was some discussion about it, and one of the "nay-sayers" abut the possibility of a feral hog population ended up eating a little crow and posted a pic of a dead hog with some very feral characteristics (humped shoulders and really long hair, jet black) that his buddy found in a field just the other day while putting on fertilizer...

Return to Illinois