GSP tracking Deer

Deerhunter86

GSP tracking Deer

Postby Deerhunter86 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:47 am

I recently bought a German Shorthaired Pointer. I want to train it to track blood. Has anyone else done this? Any tips, tricks or suggestions would be great. I also want to train it to track sheds. Thanks

kellory

Re: GSP tracking Deer

Postby kellory » Fri May 30, 2014 7:19 pm

LOL. I read that wrong! I thought it said GPS tracking deer! Now where would the sport in that be? Good luck with the dog training, they can be used here in ohio, leashed, to track wounded deer, but can not be used to actively hunt them. Shed hunters often just give small sheds to the dog to chew. This way the dog searches for them when out with you in the woods. Make sure to reward him for any sheds he finds. (small dog biscuits work fine. Try hiding sheds around your yard, and make it a game. Exchange found sheds for biscuits. It should give him the idea. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:59 pm

I have thought about doing this with one of my Brittany's. I talked to a guy who has trained several dogs and he puts the blood in a mustard bottle and squirts a line on a fairly unobstructed surface, like a drive way, and puts a piece of meat at the end for a reward. After the dog gets used to this routine he starts cutting back on the amount of blood he uses, putting it in drops, and spreading them out a little. He gradually increases the distances and moves to more difficult grassy surfaces until he is able to get them to follow a trail of drops through a heavily foliaged area.

In the beginning he puts them on a fresh trail and as they progress he starts gradually putting them on trails he made an hour earlier until he is putting them on hours/day old trails. He starts them on a leash and works up to longer lines until he is able to turn them loose on a trail. He tries to keep as much blood as he can from his deer kills and freezes it for training purposes, but said you could use cattle or pig blood that you could probably get from a butcher.

Good luck.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:56 pm

That technique sounds very logical and good advice. Pavlov would be proud of it.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deerhunter86

Postby Deerhunter86 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks for the response I will definitely try it out.

Return to Illinois