IL., whitetail deer activity

EatDeer

IL., whitetail deer activity

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:20 am

I have been seeing some increased deer movement along highways and roads. I saw some deer chasing each other around in a few fields. I did spot a huge bodied deer moving through my back 40 acres. I'm hopeful the deer is a mature buck, but I couldn't see him well enough to tell for sure. I doubt it's related to the Oct. mini-rut, but it's still nice to see some deer actvitiy. Anyone else seeing anything interesting as we near the first day of bowseason?   
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

howhill1

RE: IL., whitetail deer activity

Postby howhill1 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:43 am

seein alot more deer out feedin and bucks are sport hard antler and deciden peckin orders. i think primarily they're packin on pounds for winter
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

b phat

Postby b phat » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:04 pm

Was dove hunting on a friends land last sunday and 4 bucks came threw all together . No doves but seeing that made the hunt .

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:31 am

8 days and ill be in the stand. cant wait!
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:12 am

I spotted a single non-typical buck in a bean field along the roadway the other morning. The buck's estimated 125" inch antlers looked like they still had a bit of red stain on them from shedding the velvet off. The right side of the rack had one completely strait 20" mainbeam growing upward, which kinda reminded me of a unicorn's horn in a way. The other side of the rack was a normal 8 point antler. Maybe the buck had injured his antler pedestal on the abnormal side of the rack resulting in the odd looking antler. The buck looked as though he was searching for a doe, he was standing there looking confused, as if he had lost a scent trail. I just drove onward, letting him go on about his business, but I hope I see him again during the hunting season, from my deer stand.[;)]

bobow

Postby bobow » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:25 am

Visual activity during early morning and early evening has been zero.  Were I hunt is surrounded by some bean fields but mostly corn that has not been harvested.  I believe I heard that less than 1% has been taken out due to weather issues.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Another question, if you are out and in an adjacent field the farmer comes in to take the corn out, would you stay in your location hoping they may bump deer in your direction?  Has anyone had an experience like that?

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:34 am

I agree with the no sightings or very little and I agree it is all because of standing corn.  And yes, I would be in the stand if at all possilbe when the combines start rolling. They have to go somewhere.

A field near where I was hunting last year had standing corn they left all winter. Really hurt the hunting.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:46 pm

When farmers are harvesting thier crop the deer do seem to move around more. I've seen many deer while hunting freshly combined fields, it's a great time to be on stand. The deer pay no attention to the presence of a tractor.

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 pm

having been raised on a farm i can definitly say that deer arent bothered by equipment. i would definitly stay on stand while farmers were harvesting.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:52 am

The farmer four hundred yards east of my hunting area was combining corn yesterday evening. Not long after a few passes of the combine, a nice 2.5 yearold doe and fawn, browsed in a clear cut just out of my bow range. I thought they might walk my way, but they bedded down instead.

Next

Return to Illinois