Illinois Hunting Journal 2010

4khorn

Illinois Hunting Journal 2010

Postby 4khorn » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:06 am

After reading through the yearly Wisconsin Journals (Great Idea Goose!) on here I got the itch to start one for Illinois. I enjoy hearing what other people are experiencing on their hunts and I'm sure I'm not alone. Share your highs and lows, any tactics you are trying and how they are working for you. Post trail cam pics and pics of your harvests. Hopefully this thread can reach the level of sharing and camaraderie that is evident in the Wisconsin version. I look forward to sharing the events of the season with you! Hunt hard and hunt safe! Good luck to all!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

SoIll Dawg

RE: Illinois Hunting Journal 2010

Postby SoIll Dawg » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm in.  Sounds like a great idea.

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:33 pm

same here, sounds like a great idea. 

bobow

Postby bobow » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:27 pm

I hope there will a lot to report [&:]
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:18 am

Hey Lot to Learn, what is the story behind Lot to Learn and Lot to Learn 2? Just curious, it threw me for a loop one time. LOL. Bobow, I hope there is a lot to report too!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

hookset6969

Postby hookset6969 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:59 pm

Anyone think the DNR will share their hunting stories with us? [:@]

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:35 am

I doubt they would be willing to share their stories without imposing some sort of fee...then raising it.

Went out this morning to hang a few stands. Only got 2 of my 4 set up. May finish up tomorrow since I have the day off work. I didn't see any deer, or bust any that I know of, which is a good thing, but I also did not notice as much sign as i would have liked. Hopefully once the crops are out, the deer will be hitting the area harder.

I have a question for y'all though. Have you ever set up a stand in a place that gives you a good vantage point, the ability to see deer from a good distance, but to use as a scouting stand? I may put up a stand where I can watch a cornfield and hopefully figure out where deer like to enter and leave the field the most. Then move in accordingly. Seems like a decent idea. Has anyone used this tactic with success?

Luke

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:11 pm

ORIGINAL: 4khorn

Hey Lot to Learn, what is the story behind Lot to Learn and Lot to Learn 2? Just curious, it threw me for a loop one time. LOL. Bobow, I hope there is a lot to report too!

Nothing, I couldn't remember my password and I had set up some yahoo account and couldn't remember password to that either, so I just started over.  I think Ben turned it back to the original for me.

bobow

Postby bobow » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:00 am

I have a question for y'all though. Have you ever set up a stand in a place that gives you a good vantage point, the ability to see deer from a good distance, but to use as a scouting stand? I may put up a stand where I can watch a cornfield and hopefully figure out where deer like to enter and leave the field the most. Then move in accordingly. Seems like a decent idea. Has anyone used this tactic with success?

Since I hunt such a small area I don't think it would work for me but it sure sounds like good idea for sure.  If I have time I can sit along the road and try to scout from the north side of the property.

I did get out today & was able to get my ground blind set up and brushed in a little.  I hope I picked a better location for the early season.  I guess time will tell.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

bobow

Postby bobow » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Driving to Indy today for meetings I noticed around Mendota & around Bloomington the corn was coming out. 

The corn looks much drier than around home (Rockford area) in that short of distances. It could also be they planted an earlier variety and/or got the crop in sooner if they were not in the heavy pockets of rain.

If the weather keeps up like this they could be going strong in another week or two.  One can only hope! [:)]

Next

Return to Illinois