Illinois Hunting Journal 2010

bobow

RE: Illinois Hunting Journal 2010

Postby bobow » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:38 pm

Sunset was 6:37, so what time would you plan on getting to your stand? I got there at 4:10.

I got to my stand today at 5:20.

I saw three nice does between 9:00 & 9:45 approximately 50 yards out but no shot opportunities.  That was it for the day.

It was a pretty day for sure.  Just a little windy.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Stuck a doe yesterday morning for the freezer. Got rained on today in Schuyler Co and didn't see anything. Tomorrow it's back to Tazewell Co.

Good luck to all!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:36 pm

After getting skunked yesterday, I got a small 7-pointer today!!

Crazy story.  I was hunting on the ground overlooking a small ravine.  I saw the deer on the other side of the hill heading towards the bottom.  I eased out of my chair and waited to see what direction he would go.  After a bit, I slowly stood and he was on his way up the hill STRAIGHT AT ME!!!!

He got within 15 feet and turned his head, so I drew the bow while his head was turned.  He then started coming right at me again - don't tell me camo does not work!  At ten FEET he turned his head slightly allowing me to get a shot.  I thought it was high and he bounded off in the direction he came.  After about 20 minutes I followed a nice blood trail 50 yards into the woods.  Deer.  Dead.  Broke the arrow in 2.  1 piece was in him and the other on the ground under him.

What I thought was a high shot turned out to be a shot high on the shoulder downward through the heart.  I would like to say I am a great shot but it is hard to miss at that distance.  Still, I was pumped about a good, swift kill.

Backstraps are in the freezer!!

Taking tomorrow & Monday off before heading back out Tuesday for some public ground hunting.

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:03 pm

SoIll Dawg, wheres the pictures????

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:33 pm

On my phone.  No where near as nice as the deer you have with your name.  Can't eat the antlers, right?[:D]

They will make really nice toothpicks!

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Backstraps are in the freezer!!

Congrats!  Still would like to see the pictures though [;)]
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:05 am

CONGRATS Dawg!  Sounds like a close encounter.  I have never been one to not want to see a picture of someone's success...please post!
Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:56 am

Agreed! Pics please! A trophy is in the eye of the beholder Dawg. Not everyone hunts a whitetail paradise where anything under 150 is off limits. You will get nothing but congrats from us. And if anyone does have anything negative to say, they can keep it to themselves or find a new thread! Congrats again, you and Marc are on the board! The rest of us have some catching up to do!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:58 am

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:03 am

There is my monster!  You can see the exit wound.  Good thing my shot was high on the other shoulder.  I did not realize how steep the angle was at the time of the shot.  Looking back I wonder how much was just dumb luck.

All in all, it was quite a rush.  Close distance, quick kill, meat already in the freezer.  It took all the self control I have to not go out again today, but I need to spend some time with the family as well!

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois