Illinois Hunting Journal 2010

bobow

RE: Illinois Hunting Journal 2010

Postby bobow » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:32 pm

There is my monster!

Nice Job!  It looks like a dandy.  I too am looking for that first one to put in the freezer.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:14 pm

SoIll Dawg, great job! Congrats!!!

Here's a picture of the hole my poor doe had to endure [:(] It's 4' across and ripped everything out in between!

"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Dawg, 
That is a nice one!!!  I've been blessed the last to years to get lucky. 

Marc,
what kind of broadheads are you using that you got a 4 inch cut?  I shot a doe opening morning with a 3 blade rage and the blood trail looked like I dipped two paint brushes in a can of red paint and walked for 25 yards.  But it didn't have an opening like that!

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:56 pm

ORIGINAL: kribbz

Dawg, 
That is a nice one!!!  I've been blessed the last to years to get lucky. 

Marc,
what kind of broadheads are you using that you got a 4 inch cut?  I shot a doe opening morning with a 3 blade rage and the blood trail looked like I dipped two paint brushes in a can of red paint and walked for 25 yards.  But it didn't have an opening like that!

That was a Muzzy 4 blade Phantom MX. It shattered the rib cage. Absolutely devastating! I used that same broadhead on several deer and still haven't had to sharpen it. This doe didn't run very far :-)
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:29 pm

Finally got to go out this morning, took a doe at about 15 yds from my knees.  I am not feeling well but made myself go out. Once there I decided I was not up to sitting for a long time so I walked down the field line where could see into another field with cut corn.  She was running around, eating , running more, but all the time coming to me. I was completely in the open, nothing behind me.  I was at full draw when she was about 30yds and she just kept coming, dumb luck there. 

Interesting part, I shoot, hear the whack and watch her run, she is running with the exit wound side visible to me and I see a huge red spot but looks far back. So now I am thinking I gut shot.   I only wait around 30 minutes, should have been longer but I was just not up to it.   Hard tracking job, lost blood had to do the arc etc but I found her in the woods on a creek bed.  She is lying with entry hole up, looks like great shot, maybe an inch or two higher than I like, but a good shot. Roll her over and she has intestines sticking out the exit hole.   I get her tagged and in the field and start field dressing figuring I have a freaking mess.  Not at all. I hit the lung, liver, and stomach.   I don't recall her angling at all, so I am still not sure what happened.  But, somehow, the arrow did not tear up the guts, it was like field dressing a heart shot deer.    By the way, this is the first time ever I have taken a deer the first day I went out
!!! Pretty pumped.  Got the meat off the bone and in the fridge. I will get it cleaned up and in the freezer tomorrow.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:31 pm

I enjoyed reading everyones post thanks gentlemen we still have 20 days till ours open!till then I will be nosey on everyone else's goodfortune

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:41 am

Sounds like alot of you did well this weekend great to hear, I did not get get out this weekend.  I will be taking my son out for the youth season this coming weekend.   He is really excited.   I am a bit concerned it sounds as if it will be in the high 70's and maybe even 80's.  

I normaly would not hunt if it is going to be that warm, but youth season!   Would you still go knowing its going to be that warm?

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:52 am

ORIGINAL: Quickdraw

Sounds like alot of you did well this weekend great to hear, I did not get get out this weekend.  I will be taking my son out for the youth season this coming weekend.   He is really excited.   I am a bit concerned it sounds as if it will be in the high 70's and maybe even 80's.  

I mormaly would not hunt if it is going to be that warm, but youth season!   Would you still go know its going to be that warm?

I had the same conditions a few years back with my son on youth weekend. Nothing moved, it was disappointing. You have to try anyway, for his sake! You may get lucky in the morning when its cooler, so it's worth a shot..no pun intended.

stu27

Postby stu27 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:10 am

Was able to get out for the first time Saturday afternoon.  Only had a little doe come through, but I'd have been happy not seeing the first deer........I was just glad to get that first sit in the stand for the season.  Nothing like this time of year.  Good luck to all!

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Hit some IDNR ground for the first time tonight.  I drove around the park and saw only 2 vehicles.  I just happened to pick a spot were one of them was set up.  Figures.  There was plenty of room for both so no worries there.

On the other hand, the bees (big, fat bumble bees - blech) and mosquitoes were horrible.  I was covered head to toe in camo so no bites from the skeeters but it is disconcerting when they land on your ear constantly.  I was brushing them off every few seconds.  Guess what - no deer.  Big surprise there.  I was on the edge of a grass field in some thick woods, but I was convinced I had scared every deer off for miles.  Suggestions or tips?

I was fed up by 6pm and headed for the truck.  Checked out some spots that looked good from the aerial photo I have and one of them had 4 deer milling around.  It was 6:50pm and close to legal ending hour or I would have gone after them on a stalk.  The won't be so lucky next time.[:)]

Big family camping trip 10 minutes from the state park this weekend.  Guess what I will be doing Thursday night and Friday morning.......

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois