Illinois Hunting Journal 2010

SoIll Dawg

RE: Illinois Hunting Journal 2010

Postby SoIll Dawg » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Made it out this evening.  Took Marc's advice and headed into the timber.  I saw deer earlier!  They were just too far away before the mama doe winded me (I was in a tough spot with a 15mph WSW wind).  She did not sound the alarm but tails went up and off they went and a steady rate.

I then had one almost on top of me right at the end of shooting time.  I was trying to figure out if I was seeing a coyote or deer (it was gonna get a Muzzy either way[:D])  By the time I new it was a deer (20 yards) she realized I was not a bush.  That one DID snort the alarm.

Regardless, a lot more action in the woods than on the field edge.  THANKS MARC!!!

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:40 pm

ORIGINAL: SoIll Dawg

Made it out this evening.  Took Marc's advice and headed into the timber.  I saw deer earlier!  They were just too far away before the mama doe winded me (I was in a tough spot with a 15mph WSW wind).  She did not sound the alarm but tails went up and off they went and a steady rate.

I then had one almost on top of me right at the end of shooting time.  I was trying to figure out if I was seeing a coyote or deer (it was gonna get a Muzzy either way[:D])  By the time I new it was a deer (20 yards) she realized I was not a bush.  That one DID snort the alarm.

Regardless, a lot more action in the woods than on the field edge.  THANKS MARC!!!

I'm glad you saw deer ! Now remember your scent control. Wind direction is very imortant while on the ground. I shower each and every time I ground hunt. If you don't have the time to shower or to prepare for a ground hunt, it would be best to avoid the hunt altogether. No need in ruining your hunting area!

Good luck on your nest trip!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:30 am

Only made it out hunting on Wed night this week.  I saw 8 does but none within 50 yards of the tree.  Its only a matter of time!  My dad and I also set up a new stand today.  It was a bulky ladder stand and was the first ladder stand we had ever attempted to put up.  It was a bit of an adventure, but we got her in there none the less.  We put it on a ridge between a creek bed and some CRP and I have seen a lot of deer in that area in the past.  Saw two big rubs nearby that got my blood pumping.  I thought I would also share with you guys the pumpkin carving I did last night.  Was happy with how it turned out.  I was sure I would slip and the buck would turn into a doe! 

My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

bobow

Postby bobow » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:28 pm

I went out at 11 AM this morning after moderate & heavy rains went through.  It was windy, warm & humid; it got up to 67 I think.

I wanted to sit out until legal shooting time but I got chased out a little after 1700 due to thunderstorms & lightning coming through.

I didn't see anything but I also knew it was a long shot.

I hear next weekend the temp should be dropping again.  One can always hope [8D]
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:11 pm

went morning and evening today and didn't see a deer move all day. it was hot and windy. thought it was going to rain all day but NO RAIN.... we need it soooo bad here!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 am

Yesterday evening, I had a nice 3yr old buck (lucky) 20 yards in front of me twice...shot over his back both times! I hurried my shot both times, and aimmed too high on the deer, maybe next time.

After I found my arrows, I tracked "lucky"  past another stand I got set up, I think it's his escape route.    

Hunting is not so much fun when you miss....I guess atleast he wasnt that 170 I saw a week ago. 

I'd like to introduce "lucky" to my lucky shot gun on the season opener!! 

Good luck guys, I hope you dont miss like I did!

Edit: I checked my aim this morning, my peep had slid around alittle!

I aligned the peep and was hitting bullseyes again.

This time I marked the peep with white-out to see if it slips on the string.

[:'(]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:22 am

Hey guys,

I went hunting  yesterday in this 40mph wind storm. I headed out to my stand a little later in the afternoon then usual.  

I wasn't even set and had a young buck milling around, then the wind skitted a decent buck pass me to fast to get drawed back.

Then before dark 2-3 more young bucks,  and a nice 150 inch 4 yearold.... bucks still in groups I guess?  Probley won't last long, as the rut is approaching, and these residents will probley head out on thier estrus search.

The big buck was just out of my  shooting range, but moved into a spot with a couple branches that need trimming. I just couldnt take a shot that far with all this wind, maybe next time. 

I'm hopeing to catch him passing through there again during gun season atleast, these bucks are sneaky, moving in fast on me,  and acting kinda spooky with all this wind.

I'm heading to the back 40 around 1pm today, then out for a less windy day in the morning.

"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

JFry1969

Postby JFry1969 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:57 pm

Went out this evening. Got to the stand at 3:30 pm and before I could get in the stand had a 2 1/2 10ptr push a couple does under my tree. There I was, one foot on the ladder and the other on the stand with my bow spinning on the end of my pull up line! Never so glad for them to leave.
Had several more does, and a young 7ptr come in before 5:00pm. 7ptr checked all the does till they left out. Had a big mature looking buck in the timber about 40yds out but he really didnt act to interested in the does yet. I suppose the young ones are feeling pretty frisky with this cooler weather. The wind switched from North to SouthEast shortly after 5pm, didnt see anymore after that the rest of the evening.
Im going in the morning to see what happens. I know the seeking phase isnt quite here yet, but if the younger ones are starting then it shouldnt be long till the mature bucks join in. Hopefully this cooler weather will give them an extra push in that direction!
Good luck everyone, Ill let you know how things go tomorrow.

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:23 am

I went out last night, I was about an hour later than JFry,  I didn't see or hear anything, first time this year for that.  

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Made it out on Thursday evening for a hunt.  I sat in the new ladder stand I had put up last Saturday.  At 5 o'clock a doe appeared out of nowhere.  She was at 30 yards before I saw her, but she stopped right behind a tree allowing me the opportunity to stand up and grab my bow.  She would end up walking by me broadside at 20 yards and the rest was history.  I still have not seen any bucks this year.  I am starting a weeks vacation on Wed the 3rd and I sure hope that what JFry was seeing yesterday means the rut is about to kick off.  I have only experienced a good exciting rut one year, back in 2005.  For whatever reason I saw mature bucks running all over the place.  If only I knew then what I know now, (it was only my second year of bowhunting) I may have a mature buck on my wall.  Since that year I have been so busy with college that I didn't get to hunt but a day or two during primetime.  So, I'm really hoping that a full week in the stand will produce some magic and some memories of a lifetime.  Here is the pic of my doe.  Good luck everyone!

My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois