Illinois Hunting Journal 2010

EatDeer

RE: Illinois Hunting Journal 2010

Postby EatDeer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:36 am

ORIGINAL: 4khorn

Couldn't have asked for better deer weather this morning.  Had them on their feet a bit.  Saw 4 total but the only buck was a spike.  This evening I was hit by some bad luck.  I had a deer either wind me or catch my movement in the tree as I was trading my ball cap in for my stocking hat.  I never knew there was a deer close by until it blew and bolted.  Even then I didn't see the dang thing.  My gut tells me it was a buck tho.  Maybe I'm just assuming the worst.  Back at it again tomorrow morning.  Gonna be good weather again.

These deer are very skitty this year! I had the same thing happen to me, just dont let it get you down. This one nice buck I missed twice, was under my stand while I wasnt there just a few days later.

Try to hunt the deer that don't know you are there. Forget about that alarmed deer for now, odds are the same deer will show up again soon.  If it was a buck, the rut might run him by your hunting site again!

"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:53 am

ORIGINAL: SoIll Dawg

Hit some IDNR ground for the first time tonight.  I drove around the park and saw only 2 vehicles.  I just happened to pick a spot were one of them was set up.  Figures.  There was plenty of room for both so no worries there.

On the other hand, the bees (big, fat bumble bees - blech) and mosquitoes were horrible.  I was covered head to toe in camo so no bites from the skeeters but it is disconcerting when they land on your ear constantly.  I was brushing them off every few seconds.  Guess what - no deer.  Big surprise there.  I was on the edge of a grass field in some thick woods, but I was convinced I had scared every deer off for miles.  Suggestions or tips?

I was fed up by 6pm and headed for the truck.  Checked out some spots that looked good from the aerial photo I have and one of them had 4 deer milling around.  It was 6:50pm and close to legal ending hour or I would have gone after them on a stalk.  The won't be so lucky next time.[:)]

Big family camping trip 10 minutes from the state park this weekend.  Guess what I will be doing Thursday night and Friday morning.......

I bought two turkey hunting hats, cut off one of the mesh nets and attached it to the back of the other hat....no more stinking skeeters!! 

The nets cover my ears, face, and neck, and I dont have to use bug spray!! I dont mind them as much when they arent feasting on my ears and face!!

I only use the skeeter net hat in the early season, but have used it several seasons.  

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:02 am

ORIGINAL: SoIll Dawg

Nice bucks!  Need some help?[8D]

I hunted the IDNR ground last Thursday and Friday.  Thursday was great watched 5 does for over 1 1/2 hours.  Never got less than 40 yards away and not at a good window since I was deep in some thick evergreen trees.  I watched them come out in the clearing and return to the woods in the same spot, so I figured they would be mine the next night.

Took my brother-in-law with me on Friday.  Put him in a great spot to tag one of the does when they came out of the woods.  Only one problem.....no deer.  Must have been they 5 other hunters in the exact same field that evening.  ALL of  which left their spots at 6pm or before!!!!!!!!  What idiot leaves (and talks loudly) during the best chance of the day to bag a deer?????

Lessons learned?  Public ground Monday-Thursday only.  I have no desire to hunt with morons on the weekend.

Instead of hunting with "morons", just hunt the morons.

Let them push you a few deer and I bet they move on to greener pastures.   

I'm set up already when they push the deer to me...probley gets old for them to hear me shooting at deer they bumped to me. 

Takes a little extra time, but I swear it pays off sooner or later....

Randy3003

Postby Randy3003 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:54 pm

State game land is finally working out. 5th trip in 10 days and the numbers are getting better and now with new freezer bought all that needs to happen is for on to come within bow range.  Found one nice buck in the 150-160 range.
One well placed arrow can save a lot of unnecessary exercise

Quickdraw

Postby Quickdraw » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:12 pm

I was only able to get out on saturday, anyhow in the morning as much as I tried to be quite it seemed like I was walking on corn flakes and even as I  was getting set-up it seemed like I hit every rung on my ladder with the bow or my release not to mention I was 15 min. later than I like to get out.  I thought for sure I would not see anything.  Then about 15 min. after sunrise four does came in straight at me, and I was ready.  But I was sitting in a stand which is alot better for gun hunting than bow, and the big mature doe at about 40 yards out looks right at me for a stare down, she then diecides something was not quite right and slowly headed in the opposite direction with the rest of the does.   For about the next hour, several other does crisscrossed in front of me just out of range or without a clear shoot.  I sat down and almost dozed off but didn't.  Right a 9:20 directly behind me I heard a grunt, slowly turned my head and there he was a 3.5 y.o. 10 pointer with two fawn does.  I froze as he came to the right of me then I slowly picked up my bow he present a clear 15 yard shot, but I could not raise my bow as he was looking in my general direction. he trotted ahead about five more yard gave an even better quarting shot. just as i get ready to draw he trots off were I could no longer shoot, man was I pumped and dissapointed all in one.  He started heading away so I gave him a grunt and that was it he was gone. 

Saturday night due to the SSW wind I went to a different stand, and did not see a thing.

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:38 pm

I went out Sunday for the first time since in about 10 days.  Zip, zero, nada.

Really windy and warm.

bobow

Postby bobow » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:04 pm

I was out all day Saturday.  I saw a young buck at 0845 and an real nice mature 8+ pointer at 0949 and he stuck around for maybe 25-30 minutes.  He didn't seem to be in any hurry.

He checked out a few scrapes and lounged around and ate for the whole time.  He didn't seem to be in any hurry.

Nothing after that.  I wonder what will happen with the warmer weather.  Will they become nocturnal during the warm weather?
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:12 pm

Activity has picked up in the morning lately.  Saw 12 on Saturday morning and 6 this morning.  I finally saw a decent buck this morning too.  He was dogging a doe and although i was able to stop him for a bit, he was not interested in my grunting.  Went back out tonight and didnt see a thing until last light when I saw a deer walking along the field edge.  Then, as I walked back to the truck, I saw 5 does ahead of me in the field, they stared my way and I sat down.  They fed past without spooking.  I looked behind me only to see a buck looking at me too.  He didn't spook either, just started walking away.  I looked to the right and a coyote came out of the timber.  The dang thing made a bee line for that buck and that got him on the move.  I guess the coyote kind of did me a favor.  Will probably go out tomorrow morning but may not mess with it in the evening with the temps as high as they are.
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:45 am

These temps are killing activity.  Seriously, it was almost 80 degrees yesterday on Nov 11!!!!  A front with rain is expected tomorrow, so I am hitting it again this evening.  Hopefully, things pick up.  I have hunted 4 times this week and not seen a single deer!!  It was better than this in October!

Cooler temps next week should spell major activity since it should coincide with the bucks beginning to seek the does.

bobow

Postby bobow » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:38 pm

My neighbor who's property I hunt just called (19:32).  The large buck I have been seeing is across the road @ 50 yards next to the evergreens in his driveway.

Talk about being a snot![:D]

Hopefully we can meet in the morning [;)]
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois