corn harvest has begun

JFry1969

corn harvest has begun

Postby JFry1969 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Just thought I would let ya know that we have started corn harvest here in S. Ill. Its not in full swing yet, but with the dry weather and low humidity things will pick up soon. More people started today, everyone wanting to get as much done as possible in case it turns off muddy again like last year. The beans are still as green as poison, so most of us will concentrate on the corn first. If the weather holds, I will bet that corn will be over 2/3 if not more gone by Oct 1. At least here in the southern end of the state. Hopefully we can get all (corn and beans) by mid Oct. and I can do a lot more bowhunting in this year. FYI -- Early corn moisture is running 14-17% (15% is dry) and later planted corn is 24-30%. Be safe!!

bobow

RE: corn harvest has begun

Postby bobow » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:39 pm

Is starting this early normal for the southern part of the state?  Sounds a bit early.

I'll have to ask the farmer neighbors when they think they will get started. 

To me it looks like it will be a while at least in the northern part of the state.  But like you said with the low humidity and the rain finally stopping for a while it may be sooner than I think.  I don't remember how much corn got put in early.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

SoIll Dawg

Postby SoIll Dawg » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:50 am

It is early.  I have heard and seen the same.  Moisture is coming down.  Farmers are getting out and doing some test cutting.  A local farmer said he has never started before Labor Day, but he has started already this year. 

A lot of farmers will start with corn and then switch to beans when they are ready and then go back to finish out the corn.  Bet that does not happen this year.  More like finish corn, wait a month, start beans.

Huge difference from last year when I witnessed corn being cut on New Year's.  Should make a difference on deer totals as well.

bobow

Postby bobow » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:28 pm

It is early. I have heard and seen the same. Moisture is coming down.

Earlier I went down & mowed the path to the small area I hunt.  Along the one side is the corn field that is on the north side of that area.

The stalks are rather green yet from what I could see through the mosquitoes but the corn on the ears was dented and was very hard so I don't think it will be all that long.  I would almost bet a shiny new dime that within a week after Labor Day some may get started. 

I do have a grain moisture tester for the business so if I can brave the mosquitoes this weekend I may just see what the moisture really is.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

JFry1969

Postby JFry1969 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:43 pm

BoBow, corn harvest is unusually early here this year. We normally start around labor day, but an early two week window in April and a moderate drought here in SE Ill has caused us to jump forward a couple of weeks. A lot of the corn has burned up, especially on the hills and lighter soils, and since the plant died early some is starting to go down. Yields are down a little also. We shelled 400 acres this week and it was down by 30 bu compared to last year.

SoILDawg, I believe you are also correct. There will definetly be two harvests down here any way. Most will stay in corn till it is done and then go to beans. At least that is our plan unless something goes the other way.

The earliest I can remember for awhile was in 04. we started a week before labor day and finished the 3 of Oct. Big difference than last year when we finished the 4 of Dec. Yeah, I missed most of shotgun season too last year. So if everything holds we should see a good deer harvest this year also. Keep your fingers crossed.

Return to Illinois