Reloading Shotgun Slugs

Disclaimer: This Web site's authors, editors and publisher have no control over the assembly of ammunition, arms it is to be fired in or how the resulting ammunition may be used. Therefore, no responsibility, either implied or expressed, is assumed for the use of any of the loading and reloading data on this site.
Powell1120

Reloading Shotgun Slugs

Postby Powell1120 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Does anyone else reload them?

I use the Leed 1oz slug mold to cast my own slugs and reload them into the old remmington shot hulls or AA hulls with pretty good luck. I am wondering if anyone else does this and what kind of luck they have with it. I am also wondering if anyone knows of any other slug molds fro 12ga slugs and where a gy can find "recepies" for loading them?

VdoMemories

Re: Reloading Shotgun Slugs

Postby VdoMemories » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:26 am

Good morning Powell, the Lee Drive Key mold comes with a loading card, some loads are far too hot to shoot for comfort like the Blue Dot load of 49 gr when all you need is 40 to 42 gr,
the HS-6 load is good around 30 to 32 gr.

What will help you with accuracy is putting a .125-16 or 20 ga nitro card below the slug in wad to give your slug a firm base, raise your slug up a bit like this:
look at the last four slugs on the right.

Your next choice is to buy yourself a Lyman 525 Slug in wad mold for $ 65 to 70 and the handles for $30 to 35 for a total of $100 plus that is if you can find one.

I take it that you have a rifled barrel and if not then with a smooth bore you need to do this test first before you go about loading a bunch:

Hoping it helps.

NO ONE EVER achieved their goals & dreams by sitting around & waiting for something to happen.
I believe that YOU make your own luck! -Aj Khubani

EXPERIENCE IS WHAT U GET, WHEN U DON'T GET WHAT U WANT!

Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently!

Best regards,
VdoMemories

=

Return to Reloading