Reloading pointers on 44 mag for rifle

Disclaimer: This Web site's authors, editors and publisher have no control over the assembly of ammunition, arms it is to be fired in or how the resulting ammunition may be used. Therefore, no responsibility, either implied or expressed, is assumed for the use of any of the loading and reloading data on this site.
8uck5nort

Reloading pointers on 44 mag for rifle

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:26 am

Does anyone reload 44 mag for rifle?

Does anyone have any suggestions for loading up for a rifle vs pistol?

I used The LeverRevolution ammo from Hornady which did very well during deer season. I am getting those bullets, but not sure on which powder would be better for a rifle load vs pistol.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

shaman

RE: Reloading pointers on 44 mag for rifle

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:28 am

The powder I found that generates the best hunting velocities is Hodgdon H110.  This goes for pistol or rifle.

The only problem with H110 is that it is prone to creating a major $%!^-storm at the end of the muzzle.  When I was dabbling in this, a buddy recommended H110 as THE powder for 44 Mag.  He warned me:  when you go to the range, everyone will know you're shooting H110.  He was right.  Zowie!!!  Lots of flash. Lots of concussion.  If you show up at an indoor range with this stuff, you'll have every head turning.  The first time I took it to my outdoor range, the RSO  came running over.  He thought I'd blown up the gun.  It was just a 10%-off-MAX starter load.   

Nowadays, I've given up on 44 Mag for deer hunting.  When I use my Ruger Blackhawk hand-cannon, I'm shooting  TiteGroup, because it is cleaner burning than Unique.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

8uck5nort

RE: Reloading pointers on 44 mag for rifle

Postby 8uck5nort » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:37 am

Thanks Shaman.

I'll see what my local gunshop has in stock. He carries Reloader powders, but sometimes has other brands in stock from time to time. I'll probably start with what he has and see if that works out since I know I can get it locally. If that does not give me the results I want I'll try and order or start going back to the gun shows.

Indiana as far as I know is one of the only states that has a rifle season, but you can only use a rifle if it is in a pistol caliber. [8|]

However, I was impressed at what the 44 mag did do to the one deer we shot this year. About the same affect as what the .50 cal muzzleloader did but with less smoke.

I am working on building out a rifle in .357 mag for next season. Will reload for that one too.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Return to Reloading