Range fitness

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

Range fitness

Postby JPH » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Just a little heads up. Rob Shaul and his staff at http://www.militaryathlete.com are doing some fascinating work regarding what they call "range fitness". He defines range fitness as, "training the complex motor skill of accurate marksmanship under physical and other stress." Their research is ongoing but they seem to be coming up with some really interesting stuff regarding a shooter's ability to improve shooting accuracy under stress.

He is working with military and law enforcement types but I think that what they are learning has a direct correlation to a hunter's ability to deliver a safe and humane shot while in the throws of "buck fever". They are performing various combinations of physical exercise and shooting in order to study how stress effects accuracy and how to improve under those conditions. Very exciting stuff!

The entire site is excellent and Rob is a really helpful guy. But since I am not a member of the specific communities he caters to, I just lurk the site and stay out of the way. I highly recommend you visit and check it out, paying special attention to the "range fitness" tabs.

JPH

Re: Range fitness

Postby JPH » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:15 am

They continue to add great stuff to this. Check it out. http://www.militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=38
Does anyone thing we could develop some similar events for archers or gun hunters?

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 pm

It has been a busy summer and I found little time to tune up my archery skills. In fact, I just dug my bow out a week and a half ago. Since I plan to put some time in the stand ahead of the rut, I knew I needed to catch up quickly. After I shot enough to reset my pins, I decided to go right into stress shooting drills and I am amazed at how quickly I have returned to a high degree of confidence.

My drill today was simple but very effective. I recommend it to anyone, but it seems particularly well suited for hunters looking to return to peak shooting form quickly. I performed five rounds of the following circuit, returning to a relaxed state between each round:

- Squat thrusts X 10
- One arrow at 40 yds.
- Sprint to 25 yds.
- 40lb. DB swings X 10
- One arrow at 25 yds.
- Sprint to 40 yds.
- Squat thrusts X 10
- One arrow at 40 yds.
- Sprint to 25 yds.
- 40lb. DB swings X 10
- One arrow at 25 yds.

This is performed as fast as possible, but striving for 100% accuracy in a 9" circle. I found my accuracy and times improving throughout the event. Also note that the choice of squat thrusts and DB swings is somewhat random. Any exercise that increases HR will work, but I would avoid any that stress the arms, shoulders or back, as this may throw off shooting accuracy.

I'm curious if anyone else works of shooting with an elevated HR?

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:44 pm

During basic training at Ft. Benning, GA summer of 2000. We did a six mile run in BDU's and boots to a M16 qual. range. Then had to bear crawl up to the firing points and assume a prone position, lock and load a magazine, and engage targets at various distances. It was very tough. Breathing control was the toughest and increased heart beat caused some shaking in the arms. I don't think anyone shot very well. But it was fun.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 am

Yeah, shooting with a jacked HR is a totally different ball game.

The units I served with in the military had not caught onto this by the time I got out, so all my live fire was done in total relaxation. The first time I heard of using exercise to test shooting skill was an interview with legendary sniper Carlos Hathcock. He said running until you were ready to puke was the best way to replicate the stress of shooting in combat. He would know.

I've been sprinkling this sort of thing into my archery practice for years now. Your arms shake, your pins sway and your vision seems cloudy. Just like hunting!

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:12 pm

I agree. I've tried it with my bow too, but not to extreme. A set of 10 pushups then draw the string back and try to gain control for a steady shot. My 55 pound draw felt like 70.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:18 pm

JPH - What branch did you serve in?
Semper Fi,

Joe

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:26 am

jdbell91 wrote:JPH - What branch did you serve in?

AF (Active) as a firefigter and Army (Guard) as a Cav Scout. Nothing special about my career. I was in basic during the Gulf War and everything else was laid back. Nothing like serving today, but I'm glad I did it.

I'd ask you the same but your tag line leaves no doubt! Thank you for your service!

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:09 pm

I was also in from 1991 to 1995. Never saw combat, but thought we would a few times. At the time we all wanted to "see some action". In hind sight, it saved us from a lot of the pain and suffering that our current troops are experiencing.

I also thank you for your past and present service.

Good luck this year.
Semper Fi,

Joe

Anpol

Postby Anpol » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Any exercise that increases HR will work, but I would avoid any that stress the arms, shoulders or back, as this may throw off shooting accuracy.

Emrnews billing

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness