What Would You Do? A Light-Hearted Look at a Serious Panic Attack

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Ben Sobieck

What Would You Do? A Light-Hearted Look at a Serious Panic Attack

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:36 am

In this article, reader Angie relates a panic attack she suffered while trying to find her blind in the dark. While she takes a humorous tone, the issue is no laughing matter. What would you have done in her situation? Click here to read the article, then post how you would've handled the situation.

Let Charles Alsheimer show you the way through the 2010 rut with his Online Course.

JPH

RE: What Would You Do? A Light-Hearted Look at a Serious Panic Attack

Postby JPH » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:04 am

My grandfather was a true old-school woodsman. He grew up in the Adirondack Mts. in the 1930's and helped to keep his depression era family going as a kid by hunting and scrounging in the back country. When the war came he volunteered for the Airborne and became a member of the elite 517th Parachute Inf. Reg. Combat Team. Among his adventures was surviving behind Nazi lines in the snowbound Ardennes Forest for 11 days. When he came home he spent all his spare time trekking across some of the most rugged country in North America. I was blessed to learn the "art of survival" at the feet of a master. His advice was always simple and kind of folksy, but you knew that he meant every word of it. Better yet, his advice was backed up by experience.  

Anyway, Gramp used to say, "I've had a few times where I didn't know where I was, but I've never been lost." His point was that "lost" is a state of mind. The author in this article definitely got herself "lost" by allowing herself to panic. Gramp's advice was to sit your butt down on a rock or a log the moment you realize you don't know where you are! If the sun is coming up, let it. Have a snack if you have one with you. Unfold your map and line it with your compass. Take the time to make a little plan. It can do a world of good. Once you've settled yourself set a course for an objective no more than 100 yards away. Sometimes that is all you need in order for things to look familiar. If not, sit down and repeat the process over and over again until something clicks. It is slow, but slow is exactly what you need in that situation!

I only had to follow Gramp's advice once. I'd left a snowmobile trail and could not find my way back to camp, somewhere west of Route 28N in Essex Co., N.Y. That is some wooly country. It was getting dark and I did NOT want to spend the night out there. But I sat on a big rock and sipped my water bottle. Then I oriented my map. Nothing looked right but I took a heading due south for 100 yards. Bingo! There was the old stone fence I had missed. I made it back to camp just before dark. Gramp was waiting.    

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:09 am

It is amazing how differen't the woods look in the dark.  I've found myself temporarily misplaced in the dark before.  It's best just to sit down and wait for shooting light and sneak to your stand than to keep thrashing around in the dark.

metrx

Postby metrx » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:16 am

That article seems a little much...she wasnt "lost", she was in the general area. 

Myself...I've been significantly "turned around" but never lost...thank God.

I've been late getting to a morning stand and am panicked more because I'm pissed that I didnt get my butt out of bed on time and anticipate missing or screwing up good action for myself.

I'll share one panicked story though...

A few years ago I hung a treestand in a new great area I found on private property that is in an archery only area, the day before our NY gun season was about to open (which I hunt in a different area of the state).  Ive been hunting the property for years, knew it well, but found this great spot I guess I just overlooked.  It was in a pine tree and my climber wouldnt work.  My hopes were that it would be hung and ready for me to hunt when I returned from a week of gun season.  The week passed and I went in looking for my stand on a cold November morning.  It was very dark (new moon).  I got in early and thought I was in the right spot.  Panick started to set in...in thirty minutes the sun would start to come up and I couldnt find the stand.  I walked back and forth on that ridge but could NOT find the tree or the stand...or so I thought.  I had no other choice but to post on the ground in the area as the sun was starting to come up.  I was pissed to say the least...there is no really adequate ground cover, but I found a decent spot and nestled in.  Well,  I saw 18 deer that morning, 8 different bucks, including an awesome 9 point that almost ran me over chasing a small 6 that was chasing a group of does.  It was one of those mornings you never get cold even though its freezing out...action all morning.
Long story short, someone stole my treestand...it was gone...along with all but one of my treesteps.  It was though the thief was trying to "throw it in my face".  Still havent seen anyone hunting or hiking or anything on that land...as I still hunt it today. 

Thats a whole 'nother story.  I learned my lesson after having a treestand, trail camera and climbing sticks stolen over the years...all from private land mind you.  Now, I pack it all in and pack it all out.  I wish I were a fly on the wall when that @#$% happens.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:19 pm

If I was lost in the woods , I think I would turn on my flashlight and look for a pile of a woman's clothing on the ground and follow the tracks .
Or ............ wait until it just started getting light out and get my bearings before advancing any farther . You could waste a lot of time wandering around in the dark !
Semper Fi !

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:24 pm

It is amazing how the woods change without light. I know her feeling cursing and mumbling to yourself. Panic attack? that's a little much. We all get turned around a little from time to time, but personally, my frustration has been due to the additional noise made and scent deposited from not making a clean entrance into your hunting area.

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:00 am

I don't know why, but getting lost is probably my biggest fear in the woods. My friends have gotten some good laughs at my expense over the years.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness