What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
mightyfofaad

RE: What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby mightyfofaad » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:58 am

What do you do to get/stay in shape?

For me, I find nothing keeps you in better shape than swimming

marshrat

RE: What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby marshrat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:29 pm

For all of you who hate running/jogging, etc., and have tried and tried to lose weight and stick with a program, read the book "Body by Science".  It will change the way you think about exercise if you pay attention to it and it makes total sense when you understand how the body works and how 'cardio' is only one piece of the puzzle that cannot be isolated in your training program! 

strampoline

Re: What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby strampoline » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:37 am

I wanted to be in good shape not too fat and not so thin so I work out in gym and also do some other activities. Here are the tips that I do to be in good shape
1. Running and stretching
2. Regular push ups and pull ups
3. Cycling
4. Keeping control on diet
5. Lifting weight.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:40 am

Sounds like a very diverse regimen stampoline! Thanks for reviving this thread. Now is a great time to be paying attention to this topic.

I think variety is so vital to a solid fitness plan, particularly as we mature. I try to touch on a wide range of exercises and routines because it keeps things interesting and helps me to avoid injury.

At the same time I have found that accomplishing personal records or even simply improving current levels is also a way to keep fitness fun. At 40, I've found that it is hard to improve on multiple fronts at the same time. In response to this, I have begun to set rotating goals. For example, I have set this winter aside as a time to improve several strength based goals. I'm lifting more heavy weight than usual and only doing enough cardio to keep from really falling behind. I'm going to test myself during the first of April and I hope to see some substantial improvement. Then I plan to put the heavy weights aside and begin training to achieve a personal record in a 5K race sometime in the early summer. Then as the summer rolls on, I'd like to return to a comprehensive program that helps me prepare for a general strength and endurance test called "Operator Ugly". And then back into deer season 2012!

Healthy Outdoorsman

Postby Healthy Outdoorsman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:56 pm

JPH wrote:At the same time I have found that accomplishing personal records or even simply improving current levels is also a way to keep fitness fun. At 40, I've found that it is hard to improve on multiple fronts at the same time. In response to this, I have begun to set rotating goals. For example, I have set this winter aside as a time to improve several strength based goals. I'm lifting more heavy weight than usual and only doing enough cardio to keep from really falling behind. I'm going to test myself during the first of April and I hope to see some substantial improvement. Then I plan to put the heavy weights aside and begin training to achieve a personal record in a 5K race sometime in the early summer. Then as the summer rolls on, I'd like to return to a comprehensive program that helps me prepare for a general strength and endurance test called "Operator Ugly". And then back into deer season 2012!

I second that one Joe. It's always good to have something you are working towards. Although I won't be competing in any 5k's any time soon, I usually go in 8 week cycles or strength building, then fat burning workouts.

There are never any absolutes, but weight training should be included in some capacity in any sound fitness program. Simply performing "cardio" all the time without the inclusion of training in the gym is a no no in my book. Simply look at Olympic marathoners vs. sprinters. Who looks better? Who is stronger? Sure, both are in shape, but the sprinters include weight training and high intensity cardio. Plus, they have stronger bones and are generally healthier.
If a man speaks in the woods and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

http://www.healthyoutdoorsman.com

strampoline

Postby strampoline » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:14 am

Last week I came to know some other useful tips and trick for getting body shape and I had started following those tips. I thought this tips might help other so I would like to share those tips
1. Everyday, early morning I do running for 3-4 kms
2. After taking rest of 5-10 minutes I do some stretching so that my arms and joint are free and I can freely move my hand and legs.
3. Cooling body for 10 minutes.
4. Do 5 sets of broad push ups.
5. 3 sets of pull ups.
and yes, there must have control on diet as its the main thing

Blair21

Postby Blair21 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:22 am

My workout for fitness
Bent over barbell rows
Single arm rows
Dumbell biceps curl with forearm rotation
Biceps curl on Scott bench
Standing curl for forearm flexors

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:00 am

Just for the sake of conversation, I'd like to share the results of a recent change I made in my fitness routine. My normal program is geared toward general fitness and has an equal focus on stength and cardio. This winter I decided to push my cardio work to the side and focus more on raw strength. I picked what i thought were three important movements and focused on them for three months. Pullups, deadlif and bench press. This resulted in simple and brief lifting sessions that allowed my body to recover from a host of nagging little injuries. Cardio workouts were done for play, as the mood hit me, and nothing more.

I'm 40 years old and I was not really convinced I was at a point in my life where real strength gains were possible. I was also worried that I might gain a lot of unwanted weight. But I figured I was due for a change and I could always use the spring and summer to get myself back in shape. So off I went on a three month simple strength training program.

The results were really suprising. First of all, I did gain between 8-10 lbs., but it fit me really well. My waist stayed the same while my chest, back and legs got bigger. My ability to run, climb and move did not seem to change. But best of all, I was able to improve my max pullups by 7, my deadlift by 20 lbs. and my bench press by 20 lbs. Again, all at the age of 40.

I'm now turning to running and hop to break a personal record in the 5k before the end of the summer. If you are curious to know about the program I followed, I'd be happy to share it.

DEER30

Postby DEER30 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:54 pm

I just started my preseason routine. I run around my neighborhood roughly 1.5-2miles two nights a week and then lift weights in my basement 3 nights a week. I am 6'4" and 250lbs. I can usually drop to 225-230lbs by the season opener in september. During spring turkey season I usually lose another 10 lbs hunting in the mountains of VA. Unfortunately, in the off season I put it all back on in a hurry.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:08 am

Typically I eat well year round and do some cardio after weights.

However, the last 2 years we've gotten into lobstering and now free diving.
So this year I wanted to drop about 4-6#, lean out, be less buoyant in the water.
So started jogging around noon. Helped ALOT

Dropped about pound a week!!
I did clean up my eating a bit though. Dropped the morning bagel for some rice. Dropped butter/sauces added homemade salsa to flavor cooked foods. Cut out most breads but still eat my chix sammichsd on a whole wheat onion pita.
Def leaning out.
Diving in 3 weeks! Hope to have some pics.

Oh also been doing tons of deep breathing exercises......I think thats working my abs too (and burn some extra calories)

Now if I can only give up Jose on the weekends :lol: (alcohol in excess is the devil :twisted: for fitness)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness