What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
DeerCamp

RE: What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:05 am

I just hit the gym, I will work out 5 days a week with weights as well as run on the treadmill 3 days a week. Ive found with weights if you take dumbbells and use them like you are pulling your bow back you gain enough muscle to go in poundage and you can hold your string longer if needed. A good one to use for this are the rubber bands..They are long are great for pulling back like a bow. Not only is hitting the gym good youll feel better in the woods as well. You are able to go farther AND if you work out you have a tendcy to stay healthy when in those cold elements.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:21 am

Deerhunter713- I had the Boston Lager once, i could barely get it down lol, idk what it was about it, i guess its just not for me, i like the winter lager and sam adams light tho.

Try the Sam Adams Octoberfest when it comes out, and the Cream Stout if you can find it.  Boston Lager is good, but it is not my Sam Adams favorite flavor.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:35 pm

ORIGINAL: deerhunter713

Deerhunter713- I had the Boston Lager once, i could barely get it down lol, idk what it was about it, i guess its just not for me, i like the winter lager and sam adams light tho.

Try the Sam Adams Octoberfest when it comes out, and the Cream Stout if you can find it.  Boston Lager is good, but it is not my Sam Adams favorite flavor.

Wow! This must be the furthest we have ever drifted off-topic. [:D]

I love it!

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Well today i hauled a 75 lbs ladder stand through 16 inches of snow! When I got fatigued I just remembered some of Caroline CT's comments and all of a sudden I was running through the woods!

I cant say I hit a gym or anything, I just do outdoor stuff and cant really complain. I should do more exercising but just don't. Don't know why I guess.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:51 pm

I'm in a Biggest Loser weight loss competition with a bunch of buddies.

....insert "your already a loser" comment here.....[;)][:D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:54 am

Goose, one of my friends (remember Greg?) does no deliberate exercise, but he has walked me into the ground at 50+. He just stays busy working constantly. Nothing wrong with that. I workout because I'm too lazy to stay active all day.

Patriot, good luck with the "looser" thing. I hope this health/fitness forum is helpful to you. Let us know how it goes.  

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:49 am

ORIGINAL: Nubs

JPH, I just purchased some whey protein and creatine, I have never used supplements before but I hear from every lifter out there that they really help in producing muscle mass. What do you think about supplements?

Very helpful.
Of course nothing beats good nutrition, but when your working out hard manytimes a person does not get the maximum out of their food so supplements help.

A protein supplement 2x a day will assist in puttin on lean muscle mass. The general rule is minimum 1 gram or protein per # of body weight. When I am training hard I shoot for 1.5 gm. At that number I find I reach my max potential. (the best one that works for me is 100% egg, but it's $$, so I buy the stuff from Sams, it works and is a good price)

Creatine works for many many people. It did not work well for me (it acted like Exlax in my body). But the folks it works for it is impressive to say the least. It is known as a cell volumizer. You will get and look bigger, however kind of like steroids, once you get off it, the cells "lose volume".

IMHO other than a protein supplement, multi-vitamin, coffee before workouts (thats my fav ;), sleep, tons of water, and a good clean diet we don't need to supplement much more.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:58 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I'm in a Biggest Loser weight loss competition with a bunch of buddies.

I actually had mentioned something like this to JPH for on here.
Not necessarily a "contest"(but if folks wanted to)... but some sort of structure. I know that it helps greatly if folks set some sort of goal and have others around them involved in the same activity (IE getting in shape and losing some weight).

Perhaps a thread could be started with or without "before" pictures, starting weight, or measurements or whatever. Just have a starting point and post your long term goals. 
On a weekly basis their could be a weigh-in, folks could talk/tell whats been working for them, what a struggle or success it's been, etc. I am just throwing things out.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:38 am

ORIGINAL: Sailfish
Perhaps a thread could be started with or without "before" pictures, starting weight, or measurements or whatever. Just have a starting point and post your long term goals. 
On a weekly basis their could be a weigh-in, folks could talk/tell whats been working for them, what a struggle or success it's been, etc. I am just throwing things out.

I think it's a great idea! I have seen "Body Transformation" threads on other forums and they are very popular. The quest to loose weight and change your appearance is a huge motivator. I am all for motivation!

My only hangup is that I tend to be more focused on performance than cosmetics. I know that is easy for me to say b/c I am pretty trim, but there are a lot of athletes that do not look the part. I would enjoy a performance based thread. We could establish a "standard" hunting fitness test and post our performance every so often.

I donno, maybe we need both. What does everyone say? A "body transformation" thread? A "deer hunters PT test" thread? Do you want to see the "test" I have in mind? I'm open.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:06 am

Id be willing to see if I could pass the hunters pt test, maybe it would point out some things?????

I have no equipment though. I do have a chainsaw, tractor, splitting maul, and a woods to run through, so you'd have to make it interesting.

Either way if I can make it work Ill try it.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness