What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Nubs

RE: What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby Nubs » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:05 am

JPH, could you send me your 5min core workout also? I would greatly appreciate it!

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:36 am

ORIGINAL: Nubs

JPH, could you send me your 5min core workout also? I would greatly appreciate it!

Sent! It will not fit on a PM so I had to use the e-mail tab. Let me know that you got it and let us know what you think.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:40 am

ORIGINAL: whubbard

Santa Clause brought my daughters the Wii Fit for Christmas.  What a kick A*S gift.  I've been working out on it for 20 to 30 min. a day probably four times a week.  I've lost 9 pounds in a month, and feel incredibly stronger since starting.  I alternate my workouts every time.  Yoga, strength training, balance games, and cardio.  It truly is a great thing.  Kind of pricey, but it makes working out fun.  (Or more fun than it used to be.)  Kinda funny to say, but my Wii trainer actually motivates me.  Its awesome, and I am laaazzzzy when it comes to working out.  Anybody else got on the Wii kick?

Those are some great results! Nice work.

While I have had some fun at the expense of the Wii Fit, I am all for ANYTHING that produces results!

Motivaitaion is the key. Equipment does not matter. Time does not matter. The style of training does not matter. Without motivation you can do nothing in fitness, and with it you can do anything.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:44 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I'm down from 212 to 200 pounds since December 1.  My goal is to get to 185-190 by May.

Awesome bro! Keep it up!

And as an aside, I hope you soon reach the point where weight does not really matter. When you get to the point where you like the way your clothes fit, you like the way you feel, and you like the way your wife digs the new you, then you've made it! With or without the scale.

The next deer you drag will feel light and you'll be the one who has to wait for the other guys to catch their breath.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:04 am

Well weather warmed up a bit ...high teens this morning...So I grabbed the 15' pole pruner and headed for the woods...The snow is mid calf with a layer of ice so it was a good hike down through the woods then spent a few hours trimming the branches off dozens of hard maple and oak.....Wow after I had worked up a sweat and started feeling cold I hiked back up the hill to the goats...The hay barn needed to have the ice and snow removed from the roof...so I grabbed the rake ...first scaped off a bunch of snow then went inside to push the ice off from underneith....OOPPPS...holy momma !!!the triceps in both my arms seized up at the same time [:(]...now thats something new....hhhmm right now the only thing working are my fingers....lol hope a nice hot bath calms things down...because I can't move them enough to ice them...[&:]...remember don't over do it...[8|]

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:11 am

Awesome bro! Keep it up!

And as an aside, I hope you soon reach the point where weight does not really matter. When you get to the point where you like the way your clothes fit, you like the way you feel, and you like the way your wife digs the new you, then you've made it! With or without the scale.

The next deer you drag will feel light and you'll be the one who has to wait for the other guys to catch their breath.

To me, it's one in the same.  185-190 is the weight I need to be in order to feel "right".  BTW, the wife digs me even when I'm chubby.[:D][:D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

MDV WI hunter

Postby MDV WI hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:33 am

I try to work out 4-5 times a week, 2-3 cardio (running or nordic track) and 2-3 resistance training.  I don't focus much on how much weight but more so on perfect form and stamina.  Dragging a big buck out of the woods takes a LOT of endurance.  I also try to bike and stay active. 

Now, if you want a killer work out.  Have a few kids, then when the oldest (boy or girl) gets to be around 40lbs - roughly 4 years old, throw them on your back and hike the bush in knee deep snow while scouting.  That's a work out!!  Oh ya, it was 20 degrees F that day so all winter gear applies!!!!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:21 am

Congrats Patriot, thats something to be proud of!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:46 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Awesome bro! Keep it up!

To me, it's one in the same.  185-190 is the weight I need to be in order to feel "right".  BTW, the wife digs me even when I'm chubby.[:D][:D]

I think I missed the mark with my post. My bad.

I understand that there is a point at which it is about weight. Most people cannot worry about the other stuff until they get to within a reasonable/healthy weight for them. Once they reach that point, the scale becomes less important. Sounds like you are well on your way!

Secondly, I have no doubt that your wife finds you irresistible at all times! Did you get the satin "D&DH Pro-Staffer" pajamas in the mail yet? My wife says mine make me look like Hugh Hefner.

...that's a complement, right?

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:58 pm

Satin pj's.  Man, you guys get all the perks![:D]

Are they camo?  Even when they're on, you can't tell......
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness