What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
RNC

RE: What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby RNC » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:02 am

I dont have a set program other then just stay busy. In the summer I play softball, shoot at a walkthrough archery range and help coach the kids soccer team (even the coaches do a lot of running during pratice). In the fall its just deer hunting. For the wint my brother and I head to the local rinks and become rinks rats a couple nights a week playing ice hockey. By the time thats done it's time to hit the spring turkey woods which involves a lot of walking. 
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

Scot

Postby Scot » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:32 am

Four to five day a week exerciser presently,would like to have it be six to seven.Pretty heavily weighted on the cardio side right now,I need to balance that out.I run 3 or 4 days a week on a tread mill,I will have the tread mill on a 3 to 4 percent incline,I will run three to four miles each time.The other days I will ride my mountain bike which is in a trainer.I will ride for an hour at a time and I make sure that I push myself to get my heart rate up.The only resistance exercise I have been doing is push ups.I will ordinarily do 4 or 5 sets of 30 each set.The 100 push up challenge intrigues me,so I may pursue that.I want to incorporate more body weigh resistance execise into what I do.
I also hike a decent amount while scouting,very little is flat in my area of the NYS catskill mountains so I am hiking steep side hill quite a bit.

MHHC S. IL

Postby MHHC S. IL » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:05 am

I'm living proof that a college beer drinker with a sweet tooth and a big appetite can get in shape.  Graduating high school I was 5'11" and weighed 225.  Started hitting the gym five days a week-3 cardio days, 2 lifting days.  Nothing too crazy-45 minutes or so.  I set some basic ground rules for myself:
1. I only drink three days a week.
2. At least four days a week I stay under the daily 2000 calories.
3. Buy only healthy foods at the store. (You can't eat it if you don't have it)
4. Avoid snacking between meals.
5. Five smaller meals are better than three large ones.
6. I do not drink soda or other drinks high in sugar.

I have got down to about 165 and stayed there for almost two years.  There are a ton of healthy options available, and trust me they are not bad tasting.  You just have to adapt your lifestyle into watching your diet, stick with it, and you will get used to it.

Oh and it's FINE to splurge a couple times a week...I usually go out to dinner on Friday and Saturday and Sunday dinner at my Mom and Dad's house is not usually very healthful.  Just don't go completly crazy and you'll be fine.

It CAN be done, so don't give up!
LIVE AT FULL DRAW

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 am

Now that the weather is warming up (here in Minnesota), I try to walk to Subway for lunch a couple times per week.  It's a nice 20 minute (one-way) walk.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:08 am

Cool MHHC S. IL! Good points ^

Welcome!

coach

Postby coach » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:56 pm

Well JPH....you got me going.
Nice weather is finally here and its time to run.

Every night when I get online...I see the fitness thread.
Finally...I got out last week...ran...3.7 kms...took me 25 minutes.
I haven't jogged in quite a while.
I smelled and felt like Toby's.....

Just got back...from the same run....feels good.  26 minutes.
1 minute more...but not half as tired.  My last hockey game is
Thursday...so Jogging is my gig from now on. 

I know its hard on joints....but I love it.  It gets addictive as you know.

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:35 am

Right back at 'cha Coach!

I too have struggled a bit with motivation lately and actually skipped my workout yesterday. I saw your post this morning and it lit the fire under me again. I went out and created a routine that will show up in http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=22014 soon.

Hey, on that subject. Is anyone getting anything out of that ^ thread? It does not get many comments so I wonder if it is worth it. 

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:57 am

Hey, on that subject. Is anyone getting anything out of that ^ thread? It does not get many comments so I wonder if it is worth it.

I check it out every week, JPH.  But I'm more into running and hiking so I don't do many of the exercises.  I do like the the tractor tire and exercises with it.  I normally just split a pickup truck of wood but it's a good work out when theres no wood to split and stack.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:05 am

I would like to start running. How do you runners/joggers get back into it if ya have'nt done it in awhile or ever for that matter.? I've never done any running so some tips would be really helpful[:)]
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:19 am

I started out by running for 15min.  run 7 or 8 minutes turn around run back after a while I stop watching the clock and set destination.  Run to your destination turn around run back.  Keep increasing your distance as you feel comfortable.  I'm comfortable running about 3.5 miles now in a little under 30 minutes, I'd like to make it to 4 miles and then start bettering my time.  I guess it's all about setting goals an constantly working towards where you'd like to be.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness