What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

RE: What do you do to get/stay in shape?

Postby JPH » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:50 am

ORIGINAL: DoeEyed

I would like to start running. How do you runners/joggers get back into it if ya have'nt done it in awhile or ever for that matter.? I've never done any running so some tips would be really helpful[:)]

Excellent questions! Sorry it has taken me a couple of days. I assume that you are talking about distance running, as that is the most common type of recreational running.

My first question for you is why do you want to take it up? Is your goal weight loss? General physical fitness? Do you like to run?

I may rile a few people with this, but it is my opinion that unless a person really likes to run it is a very ineffecinet way to loose weight or get in shape. I say this because most people train themselves to run in the aerobic heart range. In other words, they run slowly at a fairly low heart rate. It takes a very long time to make gains in muscle or fat loss this way. Studys have been done that show far greater gains being made by people who perform more intense exercise for shorter periods.

Please do not misunderstand me. Running is great. I do my share of it as well, but I try to do more sprint work than jogging. Those who see gains from jogging are those who really enjoy getting out and running. For the rest of us (you know normal people) I hold that we are better off doing 20 minutes of sprints a few times a week, coupled with resistance training.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:00 pm

I have been running most of my life. I started running track in Jr High School and for the most part have run ever since. There are basically two types of running: sprinting and distance running. Running will improve your aerobic fitness. As you endure physical exercise, you won't become as tired or winded as quickly. In order to use running as a weight control mechanism, its recommended that a minimum of 42 miles per week be run, or at least 6 miles per day. JPH is right. If you want to see gains in strength and power, then sprinting or some sort of interval training is best. I would recommend going to a local track and running 200 meters as hard as possible, walk the remaining 200 meters to the original starting spot and repeat. Do 3 or 4 sets. Now this depends upon your level of physical conditioning. IF YOUR NOT USE TO HEAVY EXERTION, FORGET WHAT I JUST SAID. Walk first and build up to this type of workout. Finally, for those who do enjoy longer runs, every 5 or 6 minutes, run as hard as you can for about 1 to no more than 2 minutes, slow to a jog and then repeat in 5 or 6 minutes. Do this type of run every few days as it is stressful to the body and takes time to recover. Again, if your not use to running, start by walking and work your way into jogging/running.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:05 pm

JPH,OHhunter,MSHunter- Thanks for the feedback. One of my goals is weight loss which I'm sure will happen initially but I am concentrating more on general physical fitness. I have never done much running so don't know if I'll like it til I try it. Just another option to consider since I get bored with exercising and lose motivation. I'm sure I will have to start off slowly. My lungs and muscles will be protesting. I will be incorporating strength exercises as well. We'll see how it goes.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:43 am

DoeEyed, all of the above pieces of advice are excellent but come from different perspectives. OHhunter and MSHunter are clearly more experienced runners than I am, so if you decide that running really is your thing, pick their brains. I run the occaisional 5K but when I want to do well I consult a friend who is a running coach.

I will, however, repeat one point. Unless you really like to run, it is a very ineffecient route to fat loss. I am like you in that I get bored and loose motivation easily. I have found that for me, an aggressive mix of resistance training (weights, calestinics, etc.) and conditionining (running, biking, swimming, etc.) is the way to go. In terms of fat loss, intensity trumps time spent in the gym.

This is at odds with what some trainers still believe. The old saw is that you burn fat while exercising at 80% of your max HR for 20-40 minutes. On the surface they are correct, but it does not tell the whole story. I would prefer to jump start my metabolism and increase my muscle mass so that I burn fat while at rest all day.

Again, running is great for a lot of people because they like it. Any excercise that you enjoy is a great exercise. I tolerate it, and I do enjoy it occaisonaly as a way to mix things up. Heck, I have a 5K tomorrow!

If you find that running is not your thing, I might suggest something like 20-30 min. per-day of the following:
Mon = Intense resistance training
Tues = Sprints or intervals (as described by MSHunter)
Wed = Optional slow jog/walk
Thurs = Intense resistance training
Fri = Sprints or intervals on a machine (elyptical or stationary bike)
Sat = Optional play day (hiking, softball, whatever)
Sun = Rest

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:53 am

JPH,OHhunter,MSHunter- Thanks for the feedback. One of my goals is weight loss which I'm sure will happen initially but I am concentrating more on general physical fitness. I have never done much running so don't know if I'll like it til I try it. Just another option to consider since I get bored with exercising and lose motivation. I'm sure I will have to start off slowly. My lungs and muscles will be protesting. I will be incorporating strength exercises as well. We'll see how it goes.

Hi DoeEyed,
If I might be so bold, let me suggest the following.
Start out walking. Walk about 1/4 mile to start. No rush. It will take as long as it takes.
When you can walk this distance comfortably(in about 1 to 2 weeks), double the distance to 1/2 mile.
Continue to do this until you can walk about 2 miles. At this point, begin to incorporate jogging. When you go for your walk, jog a 1/4 mile or until tired, walk until you feel better, jog some more. Initially, you'll walk about 1.5 miles and jog 1/2 mile. Continue to build distance when jogging until you are jogging the whole distance. At this point, you should be able to double your distance again to about 4 miles, if you desire.
Don't jog to hard. A good way to judge this is if you can't carry on a normal conversation with someone, your working to hard.
As far as the motivation, try to get someone to walk/jog with you. Use an Ipod and listen to music or your favorite downloads. You might even try taking a cellphone and talking with a friend while you walk. This will help you judge your pace. As you become stronger, speed will naturally increase. You'll be able to complete your walk/jog faster. Before you leave, check a clock or watch, note the time. Check again when you get back. Use this a mark for how long you been exercising. As your conditioning improves, you'll notice that you'll tend to do the walk/jog faster without even knowing it.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:11 am

JPH as I said earlier I'm really more concerned with general fitness, not so much weight loss. I'm 5'4" about 135 so I really don't consider myself overweight just out of shape. [;)] I like the IDEA of running simply because I'll actually be goin somewhere. The scenery will change. And hopefully it will help tone my legs a bit. I don't care for squats or lunges. I don't have a set routine that I follow. But I probably should. Your sample routine may be a good place to start! Thanks!
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:21 am

MShunter, This sounds like a great way for me to start. I will be able to build up my lungs and legs slowly. Thanks for the suggestions!

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:01 am

JPH as I said earlier I'm really more concerned with general fitness, not so much weight loss.

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want and I understand that jogging can be more mentally stimulating than the confines of a gym.

If running is to be your gig, MSHunter's progression sounds like an excellent way to go.

But to play devil's advocate, I'd like to share some images. You are looking for "general fitness", sometimes known and "general physical preparedness" or GPP. The first attachment is a side by side comparison between a male marathoner and a sprinter, the next is a female marathoner and the last is a female MMA fighter. Ask yourself who appears to have the higher degree of GPP, the endurance athletes or the power athletes?

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:36 am

JPH,
I'm with you on the overall strength and conditioning. However, I don't think your comparisons are on target. A marathoner or long distance runner trains differently than a sprinter. Long distance running requires aerobic strength and conditioning. As such, a long distance runner does very little weight training, or low weight/high reps weight training to maximize aerobic fitness. A sprinter is akin to a power lifter. Sheer strength. They train like power lifters, high weight, low reps, similar to 5X5 workout (see www.bodybuilding.com for 5x5 workout programs). I've known some sprinters who don't even breath during a race, its a purely anaerobic activity.
A better comparison is a middle distance runner, a miler or 5000 meter man/woman and the sprinter. Or even better a decathlete. This requires both strength and endurance. I'll show my age, but picture Bruce Jenner or a Steve Scott when they were at the top of their games.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:25 am

I don't plan on running marathons. My idea is to be somewhere in the middle. I like having some meat on my bones but don't want to look like I could kick your butt, get it? [:D]

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness