Injured...again.

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

RE: Injured...again.

Postby JPH » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:20 pm

Wow, thanks for the concern guys! I'm actually touched by that.

Not to worry though. I was shooting pretty well when I realized that I was hurt and if I had to, I could shoot right now. The painful part is actually sitting upright, so the stand would be uncomfortable. Good thing I am not an opening day guy. I think that the anti-inflammatorys, ice and rest will do the trick within a few days. Beer is a muscle relaxant, right? I'm taking twice the USDA recommended dose of that too!

I have said over and over, that age is not the factor many think it is, but you must be smart about it. Push yourself but take time to rest and recover. Now I just need to stop "saying" that and start doing it.

vt_archer

Postby vt_archer » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:33 am

JPH, I hear ya.. I do the same thing to myself a couple times a year.. I swear off military-presses because I end up tweaking my shoulder, stay away from them for a couple of months, start doing them again saying "nah, I'll just take it easy" then a month or so later TWINGE, and the rhomboids are killing me again....

Did the same thing you did over the summer, switched to body weight and cardio and it seems to have done my back/shoulders a world of good.. but, I'm sure once the season is over, snow is back on the ground, etc, the ol' "nah, I'll just take it easy" will rear it's ugly head once again.. good luck and fast healing ;)

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:05 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Thank God my son is too sore from football to mess with me! We sit around and watch a lot of football on the weekends. He usually jabs at me until I take him down and choke him.

Mutual truce.

LOL, your son sounds like my oldest (12 year old)! He's always messing with me until I pin him down and lock up his arms and legs and let my youngest (19 months) smack him a bit!

Sorry to hear about your injury, take it easy and get better so you're ready to hunt when you want to hunt! I quit playing beach volleyball for the fall season so I could heal from some soreness in my elbow and better prepare for the season which starts Oct. 15th.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:39 am

Why do the injuried always happen at the worst time, and the worse needed body part?

Well get healthy, good luck
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:38 pm

Sorry to hear that buddy...Heal fast, the opener is right around the corner!  Also, I got money on your son right now!
QDM!

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:27 am

Update:

I was in so much pain I could barely sit up in a chair, so I finally broke down and saw a doctor today. He said that it appeared to be a muscle strain under my scapula with severe inflammation. He said that ice and over the counter stuff were a nice try, but that this had gotten to inflamed for that to work. He shot me up with two different steroids, gave me some oral steroids to take home and a prescription anti-inflammatory drug. I have to rest until Monday, but then I should be able to begin shooting again, in small amounts.

So, other than feeling a strange urge to wear colorful, baggy pants and spaghetti strap muscle shirts, I'm doing fine.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:59 am

So, other than feeling a strange urge to wear colorful, baggy pants and spaghetti strap muscle shirts, I'm doing fine.

That's just scary! Well I hope the doctor visit takes care of it for you and you're back on your feet without pain soon! Hunting season is fast approaching and I'm sure this cooler weather has the itch going in you just like I think it does just about every other hunter out there!

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:50 pm

Hope it works for ya.
If the Mathews is too much for ya, just let us know-you don't have to come up with these elaborate stories......[;)][:D]
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

reeper0697

Postby reeper0697 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:45 pm

Thank God my son is too sore from football to mess with me! We sit around and watch a lot of football on the weekends. He usually jabs at me until I take him down and choke him.

Mutual truce.

Just give him that leather jacket already!
Hope ya feel better!
Put me on a mountain, way back in the backwoods
Put me on a lake with biggin' on the line
Put me around a campfire cookin' something I just cleaned

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Update #2: I spent the evening with our youth listening to a man who is in the advanced stages of ALS and he was nothing but positive. I think I'll stop bitching about my muscle strain now.

PreviousNext

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness