In-season program?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

In-season program?

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:01 am

I tend to be pretty single minded. About 9 months out of the year I can be described as a fitness nut. I'm always working out. But there are 3 months when I am a straight up hunting fanatic (1 month of turkeys in the spring and 2 months of deer in the fall). During hunting season almost everything else falls away. Most years I lose a lot in terms of fitness and I sometimes invite injury because of it.

My really crazy time is right around the corner. I am on vacation from just before Halloween to just before Thanksgiving and then I have another short vacation in early December. I'm going to be running on fumes and hunting as often as I can. But this year I'm really going to try and keep my fitness level up, or at least slow the decline.

Each day I am going to try to perform a brief routine that I think will help without getting in the way. I gave it a test drive this morning. It is simple and easy to follow.

First I perform a series of 5 bodyweight exercises for 50 reps each. Today was push-ups, lunges, sit-ups, grasshoppers and jumping-jacks. As soon as that is finished I go right into the stabilization/core routine http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=24413 There is no scheduled rest. You just go as fast as you can. I was able to finish in 12 minutes.

There is nothing impressive about this little routine. It is just a way to squeeze in a quick workout without the aid of equipment. I really think I can manage to do this in my cabin or even out in the field next to my truck if I need to.

Does anyone out there have a similar routine or something they can add to mine?

Jslotter

RE: In-season program?

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:49 am

Im no way a fitness nut but I had my day of good physical fitness. I had a personal routine that I did when I needed it. I would first start out doing about 15 minutes of stretching. Then I would get the heart pumping with about 50 jumping jacks followed with 10 wide arm pushups and 10 close arm or diamond pushups. I would then go to abdominal with about 100 4-count flutter kicks. After that I would do a cool down stretching... With the pushups, I would try to do at least 5-10 more pushups every workout. If I felt a little lazy I would just stick to 10. 100 meter sprints is also a good way to build cardio strength. Thats a basic workout I used to use and I probably should get back into it.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:40 am

ORIGINAL: Jslotter

Im no way a fitness nut but I had my day of good physical fitness. I had a personal routine that I did when I needed it. I would first start out doing about 15 minutes of stretching. Then I would get the heart pumping with about 50 jumping jacks followed with 10 wide arm pushups and 10 close arm or diamond pushups. I would then go to abdominal with about 100 4-count flutter kicks. After that I would do a cool down stretching... With the pushups, I would try to do at least 5-10 more pushups every workout. If I felt a little lazy I would just stick to 10. 100 meter sprints is also a good way to build cardio strength. Thats a basic workout I used to use and I probably should get back into it.

Looks like good stuff Jslotter! I'm not sure that will work for me on a day when I spend 10 hours either driving to/from my hunting area or sitting in a tree stand, but I like it. During the season I need something that is quick, simple and realistic given the amount of energy I am putting toward hunting.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Yeah, you need that energy after the drive and then the foot movement to your set up. You would have to establish a real light workout plan. I dont know man, maybe some pilates or yoga stuff could be the ticket. Nothing to strenous that would lead to perspiration or dehydration...
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

lolo12

Postby lolo12 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:50 am

I think you have taken a wise decision by adding some exercise routine. Being a hunter, it is highly recommended that you follow some kind of exercise. It will actually take only 20-25 minutes to perform any kind of workout on a daily basis. Make it a regular habit; it will do well in the long run. 

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness