So much for my fitness initiative

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Sierra

So much for my fitness initiative

Postby Sierra » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Well this is a drag. I have to have a surgery, which has a pretty un-fun recovery of about 4-6 months. I'll be on crutches for six weeks or so, can put no weight on my hip. So walking/running/gym is out until probably August or September, just in time for my sorry-butt self to climb back into a stand. My focus will need to be great nutrition to help the healing process and hopefully even slowly lose these few pounds I would be happy to see go.

This really cramps my style because I really wanted to spend a lot of time pre-season out where I hunt, and this will limit things. I really hope it's more like 4 months than six, and not as painful as the doc said it would be. Grumble. So anyway, was just kinda complaining here, hope you don't mind!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

JPH

Re: So much for my fitness initiative

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Really sorry to hear that.

Once you get an idea of what your post-surgery limitations are, I highly encourage you to focus on what you can do. Even if you are limited to a very small set of exercises, you can make some gains and improve you emotional and mental health. In addition to the rehab they give you feel free to come here if you are looking for ideas regarding exercises that you might use.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Sierra, That is not good news, but I hope you heal well, and quickly. If you need help, let me know. Being as you are a local, perhaps we will check out the new Cabela's together, if you are up to it. It should open in the spring. You may need assistance with stands as well. before the new season, I can make time if you need it. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

HuntingFool94

Postby HuntingFool94 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:12 pm

My wife and hunting partner came down with spinal cancer last year - she was doing research and came across the book anticancer - it has changed both our lives - I am a computer slave and don't get a lot of time for exercise but I have lost 20 lbs following this advice - www.anticancerbook.com. Cut out bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, artificial sugars and eat more salads and lean meat (which of course adds to our hunting adventures - shooting hogs, buffalo, elk, deer, pheasants) - I no longer buy meat at grocery - just occasional fish and seafood.
"don't stink, don't move, don't make noise"

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sat May 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Well, the surgery is done, had it Thursday. Turned out to be a lot more damage to fix than we thought at first, so I am stuck on the crutches for six - eight weeks. Recovery is 4 - 6 months. (I translate this into being good to go for deer season!) Ever the optimist. In the long run it's good I've had this done, I will be much more mobile, have an easier time keeping my weight down and be in much much less pain. Just sucks for right now is all, and that is temporary. Glad to have the forums here and you good people to keep me focused on one of my favorite activities!

Despite surgery I hopped a plane yesterday and headed to Florida to hang out with my mom. (Yay airport wheelchair service!) She has so many deer in her yard in the evening, they are completely safe in this country club community, and they know it. I just look at them and imagine the shot I would take. I just don't mention that to my mom. ;-)

Anyway, hope everyone is well, and glad to be back to the forums, didn't mean to be MIA so long.

- Moira

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat May 11, 2013 12:15 pm

You did take her a package of venison to say "thank you" right?..... ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sat May 11, 2013 12:51 pm

kellory wrote:You did take her a package of venison to say "thank you" right?..... ;)

Hahaha!

If they ever had a controlled hunt in here and I signed up, I bet she wouldn't speak to me for a long time. She's not a huge fan of hunting. Hates guns too. I was not brought up with any of this. So I brought her various Mother's Day presents, none of which are meat of any sort. ;-)

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed May 15, 2013 7:52 am

Here is to a speedy recovery Moira.
You know FL has liberal hunting seasons, perhaps you'll be well enough to hunt here!

Offhand, what part of FL?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:33 am

Sailfish wrote:Here is to a speedy recovery Moira.
You know FL has liberal hunting seasons, perhaps you'll be well enough to hunt here!

Offhand, what part of FL?

I missed this post, Sailfish, I apologize.

I was in St. Augustine. Unfortunately I was in no shape to hunt... just getting there was a serious ordeal. Thank goodness for the wheelchair service at the airport!

I will be back in Florida in a month from today on my honeymoon. Mostly St. Augustine, on Anastasia Island, but a jaunt to Tampa as well as Key West. (I grew up in Florida and never even went to the keys.) Where abouts in Florida are you?

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:41 am

Sierra wrote:Well this is a drag. I have to have a surgery, which has a pretty un-fun recovery of about 4-6 months. I'll be on crutches for six weeks or so, can put no weight on my hip. So walking/running/gym is out until probably August or September, just in time for my sorry-butt self to climb back into a stand. My focus will need to be great nutrition to help the healing process and hopefully even slowly lose these few pounds I would be happy to see go.

This really cramps my style because I really wanted to spend a lot of time pre-season out where I hunt, and this will limit things. I really hope it's more like 4 months than six, and not as painful as the doc said it would be. Grumble. So anyway, was just kinda complaining here, hope you don't mind!

Well it turned out that the ligament on the top of my femur, inside my hip, the labrum, was torn in several places badly. I either did it running too much or karate. So it got repaired, but I did a two month stint on crutches. (I got really fast on those things). On thing I definitely did was do my physical therapy! This coming week we're going to try jogging. Many people advised me of the importance of physical therapy, so I have attended almost all sessions. I feel pretty strong and confident that should I be so fortunate as to kill a deer, I will be able to drag it out. Once I start jogging, I will keep it up! Woot! Mobility is AWESOME.

So for anyone that should end up with an injury, do your physical therapy afterwards. It really makes a world of difference!

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness