Tips to stay on the tree stand longer

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
staywarmguy

Tips to stay on the tree stand longer

Postby staywarmguy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:06 pm

I've been thinking of ways to stay on the tree stand longer and came up with this infographic: http://www.huntersapron.com/tree-stand- ... fographic/

Anyone have any other tips to help hunters stay on the stand longer and more comfortably?
Stay warm. Hunt longer.
www.huntersapron.com

Ohio farms

Re: Tips to stay on the tree stand longer

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:12 pm

Having a deer walk by early in the morning will solve a lot of the problems. Your suggestions are all good, but if I eat a big breakfast, nature will be calling soon afterwards, if you know what I mean. Keeping warm is critical as is the right snacks and fluids as you said. A comfortable soft seat helps a great deal too. After that it's mostly mental. You have to believe that there are deer in the area and that one will show up.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

staywarmguy

Postby staywarmguy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Yeah - the mental thing is huge - pressing through the times when you're convinced there's not a deer within 10 miles. I tell myself that as soon as I move the chances of me seeing a deer plummet compared to staying in the stand. It probably has a lot to do with personality type too.
Stay warm. Hunt longer.
www.huntersapron.com

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:58 pm

The mental stuff can be tough. It's too cold/hot for them to move - not enough hunters in the area to move the deer. Yada, yada. My uncle used to always tell me, "You're never going to get a deer sitting on the couch" It comes to mind whenever I'm ready to quit early.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:47 pm

I listen to recorded books, while I wait. It keep my mind working, keeps me alert, and not jumpy at every sound. I listen by bluetooth, so even if you stood beside me, you could not hear a thing. I have four complete novels recorded on my phone now, and can add to that as needed.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:23 am

Kellory, are you not giving up your sense of hearing by doing that? While that may keep you in the woods longer, it also puts you at a disadvantage. I've heard lots of deer before I ever saw them.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:04 pm

no, Ohio, not much. I listen softly with only one ear, and I have a small hearing loss in each ear, so i seldom ever hear them first. that constant jumping at tiny sounds wears me out. so a low recorded book keeps me calm and relaxed, and my eyes keep scanning. movement is always the first thing noticed in the (never truly silent )woods.

it also helps, that I try to position myself in places deer would not likely come from behind. (like heavy brush or briars)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:47 pm

"You have to believe that there are deer in the area and that one will show up."

Exactly. If you're not cold and are comfortable then the rest of it is mental. You have to have enough faith in your stand so that you can maintain the attitude that the longer you are in the stand means that the time when the deer WILL show up is getting closer.

When I stand hunted I really believed that deer WILL come by my stand, so it wasn't a matter of "if", but "when".
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness