What's Your Favorite On-the-Stand Snack?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Ben Sobieck

What's Your Favorite On-the-Stand Snack?

Postby Ben Sobieck » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:32 am

That's this week's new question on the deeranddeerhunting.com home page poll. Click here to give your answer.

What's your favorite?

69Viking

RE: What's Your Favorite On-the-Stand Snack?

Postby 69Viking » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:06 am

I would have to go with #1 Jerky and #2 Snickers. Those are the two items that can keep you satisfied through the day and keep you awake!

One note, when you vote part of the results are covered up by a D&DH advertisement banner. All I can see is that Snickers currently has the lead at 57%.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:14 am

I voted "other" because I will often take a high calorie energy bar along with me. I tend to skip a lot of meals and run myself ragged during the first two weeks of november (it is my way of connecting with brother buck). The energy bars tend to be more filling than other snacks and provide more bang for the buck in terms of nutrition.

I will also take apples with me, I eat them very slowly, usually sucking on each bite until it is about dry. I think this helps to mask my breath odor.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:20 am

I do like jerky, but for on the stand I bring apples.  With them I don't need water or other liquid, there is not trash to worry about bringing back from the field, and maybe something will sprout from the seeds.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

passin through

Postby passin through » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:38 am

Little Debbie Fudge Rounds and Mountain Dew for Gun Season and during bow I don't take anything beyond a bottle of water that rarely gets tapped.
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:10 am

Although I love jerky, I stay away from it while hunting. I answered "other," because my main snack is raisins I keep in a zip-lock bag. They're sweet, keep me alert, and produce quick energy. I can eat them without making any noise, and whatever smell they give off isn't a threat. I also take drink boxes with apple juice. The boxes don't take up much room after I'm finished.

I figured "other" would dominate the responses because we have way too many choices to list easily in a poll. Good question, though. I like to see what others do.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:34 am

I like Little Debbie Swiss Cake rolls for a filling snack, and apples for a scent-masking snack. 
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

wingbone

Postby wingbone » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:35 am

Trail-cam mix! [:D][:D][:D]

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:03 am

I always carry Granola bars to the stand with me. Usually two or three packs will get me through a day on stand.
Dave M.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:01 am

Granola bars and apples ..........
Semper Fi !

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness