I wanna lose weight

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

Re: I wanna lose weight

Postby JPH » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:43 am

Dylan wrote: ....WALK. Don't run. Walk as fast as you want or can. But don't run. Can I say that again? Don't run!....

Why do you say that?

Sailfish

Re: RE: I wanna lose weight

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:45 pm

buckfarmdude wrote:
ORIGINAL: MSHunter

The key to losing weight is to burn more calories that you consume.

You don't have to burn more calories than your body can consume; you just have to make sure you aren't consuming more calories than your body can burn; exercise will burn the excess, hence the weight loss.

Here is a "method" for dropping fat pounds (and body weight).
3500 calories = 1 pound

Lets say before you did anything you consumed 3000 calories a day and kept a constant body weight.
If you want to lose a pound of body fat every 7-10 days you have to increase the burning of the calories or decrease the intake.
While decreasing appears to be the logical ( probably "quickest") choice.........it's not necessarily the right choice.
Ideally you would have a combination of both.

Say you stationary bike 4 x week for 30 min = 4 x 300 calories (+/-) = 1200 calories
Lift weights x 3 times @ 30 minutes = 3 x 150 = 450 calories

Were at 1650 calories for the week and now we have to come up with approx another 1800
1800 / 7 = 260 +/- day reduction in "food" intake (not as hard as it sounds)

tbls mayo = 90 cal
tbls ketchup = 20 cal
Bottle of coke (or pop for you northerers :) ) 190 cal
vinegar type salad dressing instead of creamy style = @50-70 cal calorie savings per serving
Glass of water instead of a glass of juice @100 calories
cup of ff milk instead of reduced fat = 40 calories

In this example, just in our daily diet of our 'staple' food and drinks we can save easily 300 calories. That doesn't mean now you can eat an extra pork chop with your savings :lol: You still need to maintain a balanced diet, 5-6 smaller meals a day, lots of water and a multi-vitamin.

But it is really easily doable (for the first 16-24 weeks or so) to lose a good chunk of fat and body weight.

After that depending on your age, body size, starting weight/body fat etc, it can require some tweaks, but the crazy part is, you make it legitimately that long.........you become addicted to it, it becomes a new lifestyle so to speak.. Your body loves it, your mind loves it, its like a high** and your gains (in this case losses) just keep mounting and you obtain that ideal, healthy body size/weight.

Ok, thats all I have for now.

** (drug free of course, and I can only assume what a drug high would be from what I read, because we all know those types of drugs are illegal and I would never condone the use of illicit drugs 8-) )
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Healthy Outdoorsman

Postby Healthy Outdoorsman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:38 am

I actually lost 80 lbs. when I was around your age PA. I was almost the same build as yourself, just had some more to lose(6'6" 330 lbs.). It all started with the decision to make the lifestyle changes that would catapult my weight loss.

The main thing is your nutrition for sure. You can lose weight by simply eating well. However, if you want to get lean, working out is a must. Cardio(running, biking, walking, etc.) can burn calories, but it won't build muscle. You have to get in the weight room. Moving weight not only adds muscle, but it increases metabolism and keeps your body burning fat all day with what is known as EPOC(excessive post-workout oxygen consumption). Basically, your muscles are rebuilding themselves for up to 15 hours after a hard workout in the weight room.

As for the workout, I actually wrote out one specifically for outdoorsmen: http://healthyoutdoorsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/The-8-Week-Pre-Season-Cram-Session-Workout-Plan.pdf

It's designed for beginners who want to burn fat and increase lean muscle fast. Let me know if it helps.
If a man speaks in the woods and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

http://www.healthyoutdoorsman.com

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:21 pm

I have completely cut out anything but water and coffee. The way I looked at it was that if you had a couple of glasses of juice, soda or flavored drinks you could essentially ingest 500-1000 calories in just liquids. I don't know about you guys but I like food way to much so I would rather add the calories to my solids. I also eat 6 times a day with a protien with every meal. If you just get rid of the "crap" at your house and replace it with natural foods like fruits and vegies the "Snacks" don't kill you like they usually do. I am also not a guy that likes to hit the treadmill or eliptical (I dispise staring at a wall or tv while trying to kill myself). I do a lifting regimine that keeps you moving for 25 minutes and it makes me sweat more than any cardio routine I have ever tried. This is a form of Tabata training, I put a link to it below for anyone interested. I also play basketball 2 times a week and hit the heavy bag in the basement when I can. Lastly, I always walk in and out when I'm hunting to get the excersice and keep from spooking deer.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workou ... -loss.html

strampoline

Postby strampoline » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:47 am

Hey that really sounds good of losing weight. Actually according to your height your body weight is too much and really important to lose weight as it will very dangerous to body health after. So here are some basic tips that will help you in losing weight.
1. Eat less and drink more
2. Eat more fruits and green leafy vegetables
3. Do regular physical exercise like running, jogging, cycling etc.
4. Stop eating oily food or food containing fat or cholesterol
5. Do some basic yoga exercise

strampoline

Postby strampoline » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:20 am

Hey, guys I am back, now tell me very frankly how many of them had followed the tips that I had mentioned in my previous post. Here are some other tips that would help in losing weight.
1. First of all, stop eating oily and junk food, instead eat food that are nutritious.
2. Prepare a schedule for your diet and for your exercise, but follow that schedule regularly
3. Eat more fruits and vegetables
4. Do exercises like running or cycling and also do yoga exercise or any other physical exercise
5. Change or adjust your schedule according to your diet and exercise

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:45 am

I like your points stramploine. Mine are pretty simple. Bear in mind, I'm a simple minded person and weight loss is not my issue.

Exercise[b]
1) Hard work is an absolute requirement.
2) Patience is an absolute requirement.
3) There are no other absolute requirements.
4) Your own body is the best piece of exercise equipment ever made. Make it a battle between your body and gravity.
5) Pursue measurable, performance based goals rather than arbitrary cosmetic goals.

[b]Nutrition

1) Eat food in their most natural state.
2) Avoid sugar.
3) Fill half your plate with fruits and/or veggies.
4) Replace commercial/industrial red meat with fish, poultry, pork, or organic red meat.
5) Avoid soda.

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:57 am

I decided to join Weight Watchers online this year. My goal is to loose 25 to 30 pounds. In four weeks I have already lost 9 pounds. My wife has already lost 30 pounds on Weight Watchers. That is what inspired be to join their program.

I struggled with the stigma of Weight Watchers being only for women. They have done a lot of marketing lately to promote it for men. Recently they have run ads showing Charles Barkley. He has lost weight on the program. I decided that if Barkely can do it, I can do it.

The best thing about Weight Watchers is that you eat normal food. I do a lot of recipes with venison and wild turkey. These are lean and low points on their system. I do this online and with my smart phone. It is extremely easy, flexible and inexpensive. I would encourage everyone that is trying to lose weight to look at the Weight Watcher plan.

Good luck!
Semper Fi,

Joe

nglawa1

Postby nglawa1 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:32 am

wow that was really nice thread thanks for sharing that with us.
How To Lose Weight

Previous

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness