D&DH Fitnes Assessment (unofficial)

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

D&DH Fitnes Assessment (unofficial)

Postby JPH » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:07 pm

[size="4"]Deer and Deer Hunting Fitness Assessment Test (unofficial)[/size]
Fitness test designed for whitetail deer hunters. There are five events. The test is designed to be completed in one session, with no time limit.
*Disclaimer - Anyone initiating a fitness regimen for the first time should consult a physician prior to beginning. This test is designed for individuals who have already verified their readiness for physical activity and who have taken prior injuries or disabilities into account. Always wear comfortable clothing, warm-up adequately and work with a partner. If at any time you encounter structural pain, chest pain or severe shortness of breath immediately discontinue the test and consider seeking medical attention.

[color="#ff0000"]Test:[/color]

1 mile, loaded at 4% incline.
(Overall endurance)
You will need a treadmill, a backpack loaded with 25lbs. and lightweight dumbbells (3-8lbs.) Wear the weighted pack and carry the dumbbells in your hands. Begin slowly, elevating the deck to a 4% grade right away. Increase speed until you reach your best pace. You may jog or walk but you must keep moving until you have completed four laps or one mile. Record your time. (If you are unable to slowly walk a mile at this incline, discontinue the test and begin training until you can.) 

Max set of pull-ups. (Pulling strength as it relates to climbing and tree stand safety)
Begin by gripping the bar, palms facing away, at a dead hang. Pull your chin up over the bar and return to the dead hang position. You may use your legs or hips to gain momentum or  “kip” if you wish. Complete as many reps as you can (to a maximum of 12). There is no time limit. The event ends when you have achieved a maximum score or you can no longer hang on the bar. Record your total.

Max set of dips.  (Pushing strength as it relates to climbing and tree stand safety)
Begin by gripping two parallel bars, roughly shoulder width apart, and your body held aloft with elbows locked.  Lower your chest until your arms break a 90 degree angle, then press your body up until your elbows lock out again. Complete as many reps as you can (to a maximum of 12). There is no time limit. The event ends when you have achieved a maximum score or you can no longer hang on the bars. Record your total.

Abdominal plank for time. (Overall core strength and endurance)
Lie in a prone position with elbows bent and closed fists directly under your shoulders. Draw in your lower abdomen toward your spine. Tighten your glutes and lift the body up onto the forearms while maintaining neutral spinal alignment. Do not raise your butt or lower your stomach. Hold this position as long as you can. The event ends when you can no longer tolerate this position (to a maximum of 2 minutes). Record your time.

5 yard dot drills. (Leg strength as it relates to climbing and dragging game)
Place two small objects on level ground, 5 yards apart. Begin standing over one of the objects, sprint to the other, touch it with your hand, sprint back to the starting object and touch it with your hand. This equals one rep. Perform as many reps as you can in one minute (to a maximum of 11). Rest as needed and repeat for a total of four rounds. Record your total in each of the rounds.
[color="#ff0000"]
http://www.youtube.com/user/fyrfyter01

[/color][color="#ff0000"]Test Notes and Explanation:[/color]
[b]
[/b][b]Total test time and rest between events?  - [/b]Deer hunting is intended to be a leisurely activity, to be enjoyed by people of all ages and a wide range of physical abilities. The key to safe and successful hunting, for many hunters, may well be proper pacing. In other words, this is not a race. So long as the test is completed in one session, there is no penalty for taking longer to finish. That being said, participants are encouraged to challenge themselves and use a pace that may be a bit faster than is totally comfortable. Recording your total time will be a valuable measure of ability and it is encouraged, but it will not factor into your score.
[b]
[/b][b]Maximum score vs. minimum score? – [/b]This test is not intended to eliminate or exclude anyone, therefore there is no “passing” score. Your score is simply intended to be a yardstick by which you can measure your current fitness and progress as you train. A maximum score has been established for the following reasons. First, balance is more important than high performance in any one area. Without a maximum ceiling in each event an individual might hide a deficiency in one area by demonstrating strength in another.  Secondly, this test is not focused on those with an elite fitness level. Should you easily score a 100 on this test, you may be better served by exploring more demanding ways to gauge yourself.   

[b]Why these events? – [/b]I have attempted to explain what each event is designed to measure in parenthesis above. Whitetail deer are a widely adaptable animal. They are hunted in a dizzying array of environments with a wide range of weapons and tactics.  The obvious challenge is to develop sport  specific evaluation that is universal enough to capture what most of us do. I felt it was also important to limit the amount of equipment required by participants. I studied other sport specific tests and sought input from both hunters and trainers.
[color="#ff0000"][b]
[/b][/color][color="#ff0000"][b]Scoring:[/b][/color]
[b]
[/b][b]Loaded hike - [/b]15:00 or less  equals the maximum  20pts. Every minute that elapses drops another point from the score.  For example, a time of 15:01 to 16:00 equals 19pts. A time of 24:01 to 25:00 equals 10pts. Any time beyond 33:01 equals 1pt.
[b]Max set of pulls-ups – [/b]1 pull-up equals 1pt. to a maximum of 12.
[b]Max set of dips –[/b] 1 dip equals 1pt. to a maximum of 12.
Abdominal plank for time. – Every 10 seconds you hold the plank equals 1pt. 60 seconds equals 6pts. and 120 seconds equals the maximum of 12pts.
5 yard dot drills. – 1 trip up and back equals 1pt to a maximum of 11 in each of the four rounds. 44pts. possible overall.

Maximum score = 100pts.

JPH

RE: D&DH Fitnes Assessment (unofficial)

Postby JPH » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Video description in the text above and here http://www.youtube.com/user/fyrfyter01

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:12 pm

I'll be doing this getting ready for the elk hunt in a few years!!!!! :)
QDM!

furtracker

Postby furtracker » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:04 pm

WOW

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:27 pm

Outstanding!
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Scores? Feedback?

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:14 pm

I am gonna try it JPH. I need to gather the proper equipment and sneak into the university gym. I have a question. During the pull-up event, can we wear gloves for a better grip on the pull up bar? I know, I am thinking too much into this, but I want to do this correctly.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:42 pm

ORIGINAL: Jslotter
 During the pull-up event, can we wear gloves for a better grip on the pull up bar? I know, I am thinking too much into this, but I want to do this correctly.

Yeah, you're over-thinking it but I'm glad you asked. I really hope that this can be a "come as you are" kind of thing. I mean in an ideal situation we'd perform the whole thing in our best hunting clothes, but that ain't going to happen. Honestly, I'd wear whatever makes you most comfortable. And remember, this is only a way for you to gauge yourself.

But I think your question actually speaks to a bigger issue. People tend to over-think fitness related stuff. Who can blame them? Millions are made by convincing people that there is a new, magic key to fitness for sale. It's always a secret, it's always complex, it's always expensive and it's almost always pure BS! And how about the "Form Police" who strut around every commercial gym telling people how they are doing this or that wrong? They drive me crazy! Oh well, at least those jackasses are giving out bad advice for free.

My point is that simplicity is often the earmark of authentic fitness information. I hope that this evaluation is simple enough and is something that will aid many hunters in being safer and more successful.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Its all good JPH. I been doing fitness and dieting classes recently and come to a realization that staying in shape is very important. I am almost 30 and I look back on what my physical capabilities were 10 years ago compared to now. Pretty sad is all I can say. This fitness test in my opinion, is a good wake up call.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Good for you Jslotter! I hope this helps. Please keep us posted on your progress so that we can draw inspiration (or lend it when needed). 

Next

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness