Pre-season conditioning

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Wild Bill

RE: Pre-season conditioning

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:03 pm

This October I'm sixty-two, have coronary artery disease and am committed to a low fat/high fiber diet. About two month ago I discovered I was running high blood pressure, like 160/100. That shocked me but I can attribute it to some serious stresses I've been having and being careless with salt. I've been biking eight to ten miles four times a week and for the last three weeks added some sit-ups and chest/arm work with springs/weights. This is the first year I've been suffering from charlie horse cramps that regularly attack me at night after the days I workout. The days are getting shorter and it gets dark quicker after work, as well as the rainy season beginning, so tonight I set-up the Nordic track and put in a half hour. I'm 5'8" and weighing in at just under 200lbs clothed.

I have an oatmeal breakfast mix I make my self and it does a serious job of keeping my cholestrol down. Venison is about the only red meat which is cardio friendly and available to me. I kill it, I cut it up and I cook it for myself, because I love the whole process. Anti-inflamatories are helpful to me, and aside from a daily prescribed 325mg asprin, I take two Ibuprophen after exercising.

I hunt with a 55# recurve and increased my practice time to about four or five dozen arrows three times a week.

I'm almost ready.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:20 am

Awesome Wild Bill. keep the regiment up!!

ORIGINAL: Wild Bill

This October I'm sixty-two, have coronary artery disease and am committed to a low fat/high fiber diet. About two month ago I discovered I was running high blood pressure, like 160/100. That shocked me but I can attribute it to some serious stresses I've been having and being careless with salt. I've been biking eight to ten miles four times a week and for the last three weeks added some sit-ups and chest/arm work with springs/weights. This is the first year I've been suffering from charlie horse cramps that regularly attack me at night after the days I workout. The days are getting shorter and it gets dark quicker after work, as well as the rainy season beginning, so tonight I set-up the Nordic track and put in a half hour. I'm 5'8" and weighing in at just under 200lbs clothed.

I have an oatmeal breakfast mix I make my self and it does a serious job of keeping my cholestrol down. Venison is about the only red meat which is cardio friendly and available to me. I kill it, I cut it up and I cook it for myself, because I love the whole process. Anti-inflamatories are helpful to me, and aside from a daily prescribed 325mg asprin, I take two Ibuprophen after exercising.

I hunt with a 55# recurve and increased my practice time to about four or five dozen arrows three times a week.

I'm almost ready.

"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:01 am

It's really cool to hear a positive response from so many hunters! Especially those who are faced with health problems, injuries or a lot of stress. You guys are the true inspiration because it is not about what you can do, it is about what you can overcome!

Keep up the good work and please keep sharing your remarks re. hunter fitness.

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:47 pm

I wish I could say I hit the weights and treadmill this past winter, spring and summer to get into better shape.  But that would be a lie.  Went the other way.  I started a different job where I work this past winter and have been putting in extra hours hoping that it will pay off.  Also bought a house that needed some work so a lot of my free time has been spent working on the house.  And I am also getting married in October to my "girl" whom I have been with for over 4 years now.  To say the least I have been very busy.  I was eating when I had the time and believe me it wasn't what I should have been munching on.  Hope though after we get married, moved in to the house, and hunting season is done I can get back to the gym this year and shed some of the pounds I put on.
Andy

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:50 am

ORIGINAL: ajkrem22

I wish I could say I hit the weights and treadmill this past winter, spring and summer to get into better shape.  But that would be a lie.  Went the other way.  I started a different job where I work this past winter and have been putting in extra hours hoping that it will pay off.  Also bought a house that needed some work so a lot of my free time has been spent working on the house.  And I am also getting married in October to my "girl" whom I have been with for over 4 years now.  To say the least I have been very busy.  I was eating when I had the time and believe me it wasn't what I should have been munching on.  Hope though after we get married, moved in to the house, and hunting season is done I can get back to the gym this year and shed some of the pounds I put on.

Good luck ajkrem22! It happens to the best of us. Just do what you can now and develop a routine that is realistic once things settle down.

Previous

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness