My buck of Nov.

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
loneranger

My buck of Nov.

Postby loneranger » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Here is buck I shot in Nov-bow. Alot of time spent in trees to see this. Alot of hunters all around on every acreage. I was lucky!
BIGBUCK2011.jpg
BIGBUCK2011.jpg (98.02 KiB) Viewed 484 times

BIG 8

Re: My buck of Nov.

Postby BIG 8 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Congrats on the great buck!
Addicted to hunting!!

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:47 pm

You put in the time, and you made the shot. Maybe some luck, but sounds like you earned it. Great buck!
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Thanks,,,would have looked better with his brow tines. I wonder if he lost them in velvet or how exactly he lost them?

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Luck my butt, you put in the time an effort and earned a shot at him, then closed the deal. Well done. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Missing brow tines. If your interested, I know someone who could fix them to a perfectly undetectible state. What does it look like at the point they are missing? If the edges are sharp, recently broken by fights or hard gougeing on trees. If rounded and polished, broken early after velvet lose. Usually, any damage in velvet will result in something being bent. If something does get broken while in velvet, it will not fall off, but heal with the break and a kind of knot look at the break. I have some sheds that are as such. If I have the time, I'll try to find them, take some pics to show.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

bobow

Postby bobow » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:58 am

Congrats loneranger! It is a fine looking critter
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:11 am

Thanks for sharing about the tines. They are not sharp. Kind of rubbed round, so guess happened early while losing velvet, be my guess. I don't want to,"Fix", them I guess. May not look pretty but is how the deer is and gives character and kind of a mystery as to how it actually happened, but thanks anyway. I do some taxidermy and could reinvent them with various substances but will not. I did do a European skull mount on him though. first time doing that, and I think turned out great.

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:17 am

With or without brow tines, thats a heck of a Buck! There are plenty more tines on that deer to enjoy. Congrats!!!

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Antlers are interesting, but the age is what I am interested in. How many yrs a deer was able to make it thru the abundance of seasons, with so many people gunning for it. Body size almost made me let him pass. It was early morn, dawn and at 25 yrds my old eyes are not what they once were. Even antlers did not look that tall in twilight. I know from his teeth though,,he may be over 5 yrs old. Am having them aged.

Next

Return to Photo Corner