Finally got him back

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
RNC

Finally got him back

Postby RNC » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:16 pm

I finally got my 2010 buck back. He looks great but it was a lot of hassle. I would go to another taxidermist and pay more then return to County Line Taxidermy in Rush City, MN. BUYER BEWARE!
Attachments
100_1053 [640x480].JPG
100_1053 [640x480].JPG (94.57 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
100_1052 [640x480].JPG
100_1052 [640x480].JPG (77.58 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
100_1050 [640x480].JPG
100_1050 [640x480].JPG (76.9 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

Ohio farms

Re: Finally got him back

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 am

VERY nice buck. What was the hassle with the Taxidermist?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 pm

So Symmetrical, Beauty!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

RNC

Postby RNC » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:20 pm

It's kind of a long story but it started when I brought the deer in on 11/13/10 and was told the turn around time would be 6 months (May). I gave some extra time on that and called 7 months (June) later. At that time I was given a couple excuses and that they were working on the October heads so it would be a couple of more months, August or September. Well September came and went and so did October and no word. On 11/7/11 I went to the shop and asked what was going on and was told that the mold I had chosen was on back order. When I asked "It's been on back order for a year?" they said it would be in at the end of the week then a week to mount it and two weeks drying time. They then told me the deer would be ready maybe the end of the month but most likely early December. When 1/30/12 rolled around and no word from the shop I called again. I also called a couple of other shops and asked if they were having problems getting molds in and they weren't. A couple of days later they called back and said they were working on the head as we spoke and set up a time to pick it up on 2/12/12. Between 1/30/11 and 2/12/12 I did some looking into this outfit. First it was not easy finding their full company name, I finally managed to do so through the BBB. When I Googled County Line Taxidermy they popped up on several hunting forums. One guy had very similar issues I was having, even the excuses were very similar. For example I was told they were having their busiest year ever and could only get the capes back from the tannery only so fast. The other guy brought a deer in in November 2009 and was told a 8 month turn around but was later told they were having a bigger response from their Craigs List ad and were having their best year ever and could only get capes back from the tannery so fast. There were several other similar excuses between the both of us. I wont go into a lot of details on those because if they were true it is tragic but if they were just excuses they are scum for using them and the way things went I got a hard time believing them. When you call their shop no one ever answers and they are not the quickest at returning calls. I also found a story of one guy who got the right antlers back but the wrong cape. The worst case I found was a story done by a local news station concerning a bear shot by a girl through the Make-a-Wish Foundation, this shop was supposed to make a rug out of the bear. The shop took the $800.00 for the job and when the due date came and went the family couldn't get a return call from the shop. At one point the shop finally tells them he just got the bear back from the tannery and just had to put the backing on it. The family still didn't get the rug and they contacted the news station. When the family got the bear and their money back the hide hadn't even been tanned yet.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:16 pm

That sucks you had to go thru all that, however, you sure have a nice buck there...and I'm sure a great memory of the hunt!!

Buck Commander

Postby Buck Commander » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:11 pm

That's terrible. How are they still in business? Surely you're not the only person they've left hanging.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:51 pm

The finished work looks, but they sound like real jerks. Thank goodness you at least got it back.
Thanks for taking the time that you spent explaining to us. (and having to relive it)

Antlerfiend

Postby Antlerfiend » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:36 am

In 1986 my dad killed an asolute stud of an 8 pt. We sent that to a taxidermist and have never seen the deer or hom since. It was the biggest deer my dad had ever shot. I have now found a place where I trust the people who do my deer and they do awesome work. They take a little longer than other people and cost a little more but it is worth it in the end. It is Clearwater Taxidermy in Louisville, Ky. Super nice people that will treat you right. Your mount looks good though after all you went through. It would suck to have gotten a football head deer back after all of that.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:50 am

Taking a little longer and costing a little bit more is not always a bad thing. The guy that I have used is just that, but his work is well worth the wait and extra money. I've seen beautiful bucks that turned out to resemble german shepherds after they were mounted. You do get what you paid for most of the time.

sabrizenski48

Postby sabrizenski48 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:54 am

FYI - County Line Taxidermy is not considered Rush City. They are actually in Pine County. My husband is a taxidermist in Rush City next to the public launch on East Rush. We have had several people call our business asking for their mounts, which they had left with County Line. He, for some reason and I'm sure you can figure it out, does not advertise his number so people are looking up a taxidermist in Rush City and they get our number, even though it does not say County Line. This is actually causing a big problem for my husband's business as most are thinking he is the taxidermist you are all talking about.

Next

Return to Photo Corner