how old, would you shoot?

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
hunt4fun

how old, would you shoot?

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:53 am

We have a couple different bucks that are regulars on our trail cameras.  I was wondering how old everyone thinks these deer are and if you would shoot them.  We have a few rubs on some pretty big trees that we think have been made by a bigger deer.  There are bigger deer in the area, just not that we have seen yet this year.  These deer seem pretty respectable to me though. 

Patriot

RE: how old, would you shoot?

Postby Patriot » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:14 am

These all look like 2.5 year olds to me.  I wouldn't have a problem shooting them.  Beautiful deer.

I suppose if you were managing the property to harvest 3.5 year olds, you would pass up these guys.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:18 am

They are very respectable deer and would not last long in the area I hunt.  My guess is that they are 2.5 yrs old.  based on the bodies (pretty straight backs and not to much of a belly hanging)

If you know you have bigger bucks in the area I would try to be patient and see what the rut brings by your stand. 

Although, I would hold it against you if you took any of the bucks above
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

coach

Postby coach » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:43 pm

in Ontario...the size of antlers would be a 3.5 year old.  Body size....I agree 2.5.

I just spent this morning in the stand....saw 2 does but I don't have a doe tag.
So ...this buck.....would be a great buck to shoot.

Tell me where it is....i'm on my way

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

splitbrow

Postby splitbrow » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:53 pm

It would depend on the genetics of the deer in your area. They likely haven't reached their potential but that doesn't mean that they are not a trophy to someone. If I had taken a buck during the season of equal size, I would likely pass. That also depends on your neighbors having the same attitude. They appear to be great deer at 2.5 or 3.5 years old. Just imagine what another year of growth might produce.
Larry Florence

coach

Postby coach » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:59 pm

Splitbrow.....welcome.....to the Forum.

Just curious about something....
If you passed him up.....what would be the chance of you seeing something of equal or bigger during the fall of 2009. ?
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:16 pm

I agree that they look to be 2.5 years old.  In our area they would be big enough to shoot and I would shoot one of them.  In the future I would like to pass a buck like that up but for now they would be on the hitlist.
Scott

Hunting Ohio

Postby Hunting Ohio » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:46 pm

2.5 is what iam thinking to. and if they are a respectable trophy to you and they make you happy take one but i would try and hold off till the rut never know what a hot doe could pull into you.
"Cant get the big one if you dont pass the young ones"
Hunt safe and good luck!

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Coach:  Chances are decent of seeing something equal or bigger come the rut.  I missed a monster last year, and we have good sign leading us to believe that there are bigger deer around.  Also, my dad spotted a very wide buck in our field this summer that would put these two to shame.  Whether he is still around or not is questionable, but the point is, there are bigger deer around.  These guys are both tweeners for us.  I'm sitting by a shed right now from an 8 pointer very similar to the 8 in the pics.  My uncle killed the deer a year after this shed was found and he blew up in a year.  I think I would rather pass these deer, but it will definitely be hard. 

Croz73PA

Postby Croz73PA » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:36 pm

Looks like 2.5 to me coach.  I'm trying to take one from the ground while still hunting this year.  I've never done it before so any one of those would be going down. 

Next

Return to Photo Corner