how old, would you shoot?

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
coach

RE: how old, would you shoot?

Postby coach » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:56 am

I bowhunt in a different area than rifle hunt.
Where I bowhunt...I own approx 150 acres.  If you would pass on this one, you would
probably not see another deer like it for the rest of the year.
Last year....I saw only 1 buck during the whole season....from Oct 1  to  Dec 31st.
Deer is not as populated as some area...in Ohio...Wisconsin....Idaho...ect.

So...For me to shoot a buck like that.....its like you shooting a 140 class.
For me to shoot a 140 class....its like you shooting a 180 class.

This doesn't go all of you.  But some.  In 50 years of my hunting camp.....the biggest deer is 134 inch.

Some of you may pass on a 134 inch.....Some of you hunt in an area where you see at least 1 buck a day.  I may see 1 buck a year.  So the deer above....I'm still drooling.  [:D]
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

wspeer

Postby wspeer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:55 am

Let him grow. he needs atleast a year or two

masterski03

Postby masterski03 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:26 am

All of those deer are nice. I think they are all 2 1/2 years old maybe 3 1/2 but there boddies dont look like it . I think they need another year and I would pass on them. Especailly since you know there are bigger ones in the area.If all those bucks survive this year and show up next year man are you going to be in for some fun!Good Luck and happy huntin!

Hoytamania

Postby Hoytamania » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:45 am

I would also say hes a 2.5 year old buck. If your going for management perspective on your land, i would say give him another year, if you really dont have that option because of neighbors, public land, or another reason, i would have no problem letting one fly his way.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:35 am

I am going to go with the crowd and say that I think these deer are 2.5 yrs. But a couple of the angles make them look like they might be 3.5, so I would not be shocked to find out I was wrong.

What I would shoot is irrelevant. We hunt in different places under different circumstances.

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:22 am

ORIGINAL: hunt4fun

Coach:  Chances are decent of seeing something equal or bigger come the rut.  I missed a monster last year, and we have good sign leading us to believe that there are bigger deer around.  Also, my dad spotted a very wide buck in our field this summer that would put these two to shame.  Whether he is still around or not is questionable, but the point is, there are bigger deer around.  These guys are both tweeners for us.  I'm sitting by a shed right now from an 8 pointer very similar to the 8 in the pics.  My uncle killed the deer a year after this shed was found and he blew up in a year.  I think I would rather pass these deer, but it will definitely be hard. 

What it really boils down to, is how many tags do you have? I only get one tag, so if I'm looking for something nice to put on the wall, I might wait to see what comes along later.

But if you have at least 2 tags, there is no reason not to take that 8 pointer now & wait for super Stag later.
[8|]

Previous

Return to Photo Corner