Combining for deer

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
Patriot

Combining for deer

Postby Patriot » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:57 am

I got these from a buddy.  I have no further detail, but it looks to me like this nice buck was still alive after being caught up in the combine.

Nice "harvest".  I feel bad for the deer though.

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeanoZ

RE: Combining for deer

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:16 am

Well i guess thats one way to do it...maybe I should hang up my bow and try it that way, lol...really nice buck though, what a shame

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Nice deer, pretty impressive combine/head as well. Looks like a 16 row head with a 10 point head.

paulie

Postby paulie » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:19 pm

What a way to go! Thats a crying shame, he was a pretty nice deer though.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:40 am

Could that be gutpile holding the buck, he likes to use combines to get his deer? Anyway, he must have been one dumb buck to stay there with a combine moving towards him.  [;)]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

paulie

Postby paulie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:39 am

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

Could that be gutpile holding the buck, he likes to use combines to get his deer? Anyway, he must have been one dumb buck to stay there with a combine moving towards him.  [;)]
   Ya know, I've heard more that one hunter tell me, that more often than not, a deer will hold tight instead of running off. I guess the thought is, wait for the danger to pass, and slip out the back door. In the case of this buck, it bit him in the ass(literaly). I have witnessed this "hold tight" behavior a couple times first hand.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:27 am

Looks to me that this deer was still alive?Looked to still be in good shape.But I could be wrong. They should have tryed to help him out and let him be free. I dont know about the whole shooting the animal at night either..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:52 am

Agreed.  I wonder how they actually killed him.  You'd think a gun shot could damage the combine.  It would be neat to know the details.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:35 am

Guys my guess is that his back legs were broke having passed through the combine's stalk cutting section.  To kill him it looks like they just cut his throat, look at the neck on the last picture with the guy posing with the deer. 

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:03 am

I think your right Viking. Alot of blood in a straight line across the neck.

I have relatives that farm and they have said the same thing. Deer will hold up til the last moment in corn. I don't think anyone of them have ever pulled onto into the head though. I imagine that deer was pretty well done for one way or the other.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Next

Return to Photo Corner