Miller Ohio Big Buck

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
gamiller

Miller Ohio Big Buck

Postby gamiller » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:50 pm

I'm a mother of 2 and grandmother of 4 and have been hunting with my husband for about 4 years. The weekend before the remnants of Hurricane Sandy hit Ohio, my husband and I decided to take a few hours off of work on a Friday afternoon to go hunting. It was October 26, 2012 and the weather was miserable. The temperatures were dropping and it was misting rain. We decided to go ahead with our hunt for the evening and headed out to our tree stands. Once settled in my stand, I immediately saw a small 6 point come through and shortly after I saw an 8 point come through. The 8 point was cruising and was not going to stop. Besides he was too far for a good shot so I relaxed and kept my eye out for more action. My husband had enough of the bad weather and decided to call it a night and got down from his stand. I decided to stay in my stand because I was afforded more protection from the weather due to the location of my tree stand. Besides, I took time off of work and I wanted to stay in the stand. About 30 minutes later, another small 6 point came in to my right. I watched him for a few minutes when I thought he made me on my stand. I froze so as not to educate this little 6 point. In the meantime, I knew I needed to keep looking out for more deer. I began to slowing turn my head to the left and out of the corner of my eye I saw a deer coming in under my stand on my left side. I continued to turn my head and saw nothing but antlers!! Needless to say, my heart began to race and I knew I needed to control my emotions and my actions. This big buck was walking away from me which allowed me to position my cross bow and line up a shot without spooking the deer. The buck stopped about 25 yards out and turned broadside to me. I couldn't believe he offered me the perfect opportunity for a great shot. I launched the arrow and it was a great shot. Well, technically, it was just a little forward because I hit is front shoulder but fortunately the arrow pierced his heart and less than 100 yards he went down. I was so excited that I began to cry. I was shaking and immediately called my husband to tell him the exciting news. My husband was overjoyed at my success but unfortunately he has been taking a little ribbing because he got down from his stand. I am still on cloud nine and enjoying every minute of it!! This buck has a 21 inch inside spread and grossed 178 green score. He was killed in Medina County, Ohio.
Attachments
020.JPG
Miller - Ohio
Miller - Ohio Big Buck
020.JPG (2.35 MiB) Viewed 2105 times
Bullwinkle 8.19.12.jpg
Trail cam picture - Miller, Ohio big buck
Bullwinkle 8.19.12.jpg (75.56 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
008.JPG
Miller - Ohio Big Buck, different angle
008.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 2107 times
Bullwinkle, diff angle.jpg
Immediately after the shot
Bullwinkle, diff angle.jpg (193.67 KiB) Viewed 2107 times

kellory

Re: Miller Ohio Big Buck

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:56 pm

A truly impressive buck, and one that will be a long time in surpassing, if ever, nicely done, and welcome to the forum.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Wow! congrats, that is one heck of a deer. i`d be glad to see that on the wall every day even if I did`nt shoot it.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:23 am

Wow, awesome deer! Congratulations. :-)
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:43 am

Great buck! Congratulations.
Semper Fi,

Joe

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:31 pm

Fantastic deer ...Congrats!!
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:45 am

Great buck. Good for you.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

1ojolsen

Postby 1ojolsen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:25 pm

What a great deer and deer story too. You got him on my birthday to boot!

BamaBucks14

Postby BamaBucks14 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Beautiful buck and great story!

Return to Photo Corner